Having issues with new Arduino/Adafruit Micro

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
WarMachine

Having issues with new Arduino/Adafruit Micro

Post by WarMachine »

I chose to post this here because this doesn't seem to be a programming issue as much as a hardware issue...if I am incorrect on either of those, please move/advise.

Just opened the box on my new "micro" and ran into a problem. After downloading 1.0.2 ("micro" supported version), wiring up an LED, and uploading Blink....everything run fine. I disconnected the USB cable, connected my external power source (regulated 9vdc) to the correct pins, and waited for the boot. No blink. All on board LED's cycled as expected, but nothing on the external wired LED. I verified my wiring and tried again with the USB cable as the power source. Again, boot but no blink. I attached an alternate external power source (regulated 5vdc) to the micro USB and still nothing after the usual board boot.

After opening up 1.0.2 and re-applying Blink...the board reset and the external LED was blinking as expected.

After attempting several different sketches (with correctly attached components), it seems the only way I can get a sketch to run is to upload it and leave the board connected, as soon as it is disconnected, and power of any source re-applied....it boots, but does not run a sketch.

What am I over looking?

adafruit

Re: Having issues with new Arduino/Adafruit Micro

Post by adafruit »

are you waiting for Serial with a while(!Serial)?

WarMachine

Post by WarMachine »

adafruit wrote:are you waiting for Serial with a while(!Serial)?

Certainly am when attempting any Serial print(), println() or write() statements in setup. Sketches run fine as soon as reset completes after upload. But not after power has been removed.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you need to remove that line, its waiting for the USB to be connected

WarMachine

Post by WarMachine »

adafruit wrote:you need to remove that line, its waiting for the USB to be connected
Adafruit starting guide points back to Arduino's Micro product page...which then points back to the Leonardo guide....calling for while (!Serial);. Is this an error?

I do not, however, see how the while (!Serial) would have any bearing on sketches that do call for it (in any application). Blink, for example.
I could see it applying to the sketch running on an Uno sitting next to my monitor...LCD displaying temp/humidity while logging to sd....but not to any of the basic sketches that I have uploaded thus far to the micro.

*edit: I do appreciate your time and attention to this by the way, I forgot my manners.*

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Hi, we're trying to help you with this problem. We did not write the Arduino.cc website or tutorials. Please try removing that line

WarMachine

Post by WarMachine »

Just a follow up.

The issue did appear to be a software issue afterall, just not what I was expecting it to be.

I ended up uninstalling 1.0.2, removing the drivers, and reinstalling a fresh copy of 1.0.2 and drivers. After the reinstall, the micro seems to work just as it should, no problems of any sort experienced yet. No problems with any of my Uno boards either.

I did remove the while(!Serial); from all sketches intended for the micro that would call for it if you follow the Leonardo guide that the web sites (Arduino and Adafruit) point to.

:D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”