FLORA: Smart pixels

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
min0me

FLORA: Smart pixels

Post by min0me »

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if it where possible to signal individual pixels to change colour in a stand, say i have three pixels and i want the first and the third to remain blue, and the second one to alternate between green and red, is it possible or do i have to keep sending "blue" "green" "blue" and then "red" "blue"..
using the flora test sketch and slowing down to 1second between colour changes, it looks like the chips are repeating their previous colour to the next one in the chain when they are told of a new colour.

also, is it possible to have several branches, i noticed that the pin number is locked for speed reasons, it would make it alot easier for wiring purposes

thank you all

adafruit_support_rick

Re: FLORA: Smart pixels

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The pixels are individually addressable. The sequence you're seeing is just the way the test sketch is written.

Technically, I suppose it would be possible to rewrite the library to support more than one strand. I don't know for sure. I don't think we have any plans to do that.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Hi there,

The Adafruit_NeoPixel library (for our new high-density flex LED strips) also works with FLORA Smart Pixels, and supports multiple strands on any combination of pins. It's just that awesome. 8)

As for signaling individual pixels...at the low-level protocol level, the entire strip needs to be re-written for any change in the strand, even a single pixel. It's just the nature of how these things work. The library sort of abstracts that out of the way though...you just call setPixelColor() as many or as few times as needed to select the displayed colors, and show() to update the strand state.

jprather

Post by jprather »

so it is possible to control the flora pixels with a normal arduino?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

so it is possible to control the flora pixels with a normal arduino?
Yes it is.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”