Waterproof connectors with temperature probe

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
davidsh

Waterproof connectors with temperature probe

Post by davidsh »

I have several of the waterproof temperature probes (Waterproof DS18B20 Digital temperature sensor + extras -
ID: 381) that I am going to bury in the ground at different depths. I need to extend the cables so I was wondering if the Waterproof Polarized 4-Wire Cable Set would work. My concern is that the sensor is a shielded cable and can I connect the shield to one of the non-shield cable ends on the connector.

David

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Waterproof connectors with temperature probe

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

16" of unshielded cable is not likely to be a problem. How deep do they need to be buried?

Do you need them to be detachable? You will still need to make water-tight splices to the leads on the cable-set. Why not directly to the extension cable?

davidsh

Post by davidsh »

Thanks so much for the reply. They don't have to be detachable. How would you make the splice waterproof? Do you think some heat shrink would do it?

David

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There is adhesive-lined waterproof heat-shrink. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXrJsO0yDbY
If it is going to see rough treatment during burial, you might want to use a couple layers for extra protection.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”