High Speed RC Arduino Car

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rahatmaini

High Speed RC Arduino Car

Post by rahatmaini »

I have built a RC car before using an arduino, two continuous rotation servos, and some RF M4 receivers and remotes from Adafruit. It is REALLY slow. It receives around 6.4 voltage and the load on the servos is about 9 ounces give or take a few. It takes the total fun out of the RC.

I want to know if there is any motor, ANY, available on Adafruit only that I can purchase for under $30 that is very fast. It needs to be able to maintain speed while holding less than one pound. Thank you so much for your help. Im obsessed with creating a fast, light, and small Arduino car. 8)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: High Speed RC Arduino Car

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Continuous rotation servos are not very fast at all. You might want to check out the motor & wheel selection at Pololu.

rahatmaini

Post by rahatmaini »

Is there nothing available from Adafruit for this task? I would 100% prefer buying it from here than anywhere else.

Will the hobby DC motors be too weak for holding up the car? (I know they are fast, but are they strong?)

adafruit_support_bill

The hobby motors are very fast, but do not have a lot of torque. If you want to build a fast car for under $30, you might consider a cheap car from someplace like RadioShack and replace the control system with your Arduino and RF modules.

rahatmaini

Post by rahatmaini »

Alright. I have decided that I can remove a lot of weight from the machine. I want to use 2 DC Hobby Motors that will practically only be bearing the weight of an Arduino and very,very little paper.

Can the Hobby hold that and still be relatively fast?

Do you sell some wheels to mount onto the Hobby?

Im sorry if my questions are stupid. Thanks so much Adafruit. You have been extremely helpful in all that I have done. :D :D :D

adafruit_support_bill

Unfortunately, we do not carry any wheels that fit the hobby motors. For a light & fast car I think your best choice is the Tamiya Double Gearbox: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/114
Pololu also carries several styles of compatible wheel sets: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/35

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”