Simple RF M4 Receiver VS Mini Remote Control

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rahatmaini

Simple RF M4 Receiver VS Mini Remote Control

Post by rahatmaini »

I need to control a relatively small RC floor drone. I need to pick an implementation of the "remote" control part. I will either pick the Mini Remote Control paired with an IR sensor, or a Simple RF M4 Receiver acting as input to Arduino. I have very little knowledge about the Mini Remote Control, hopefully it is not very difficult. I can probably use the Simple RF M4 very easily, it sounds dead simple. What I am worried about, is latency, accuracy, range of IR, all the stuff essential for a smooth experience. I don't want to have to point right at the IR sensor, or have to wait for the system to register my commands.

Bottom line: I need accuracy, super low latency and high responsiveness. I really only need to have a 4-button controller, but it would actually be wonderful if the Mini Remote Control with IR sensor is the better one of the two, as I would love all those extra controls.

Price does not matter here, the M4 with its own remote is more expensive, but if better, I will pay. Mini Remote with IR is dirt cheap, but if it compromises, I will not pay.

:D

rahatmaini

Re: Simple RF M4 Receiver VS Mini Remote Control

Post by rahatmaini »

Ok, maybe my post was too long and/or confusing.

All I want to know is which has longer range and is faster.

Thats it. Faster and long range

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I haven't tested them head-to-head, but I would expect the RF unit to be the better unit for your purposes. Range on the IR is pretty good with direct line-of-sight. But if the receiver is not aimed at the transmitter, your range will depend greatly on how many reflective surfaces are nearby.

rahatmaini

Post by rahatmaini »

Can the Mini Remote paired with an IR sensor detect long presses? Like the R4 M4?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes, but not with the same timing resolution. The mini-remote will re-transmit the code repeatedly while you hold the button down.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”