Flora GPS Starter Pack: Flora not detected on a mac

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fredfredburger

Flora GPS Starter Pack: Flora not detected on a mac

Post by fredfredburger »

Hello!

I was following the instructions on the getting start with flora page, and had problems with getting it detected on my mac (10.8.2). No x.usbmodem.x entry show up on the Tools menu (just two Bluetooth ones), and nothing special listed on /dev/tty*.

I tried installing newer FTDI drivers and they are loaded but nothing new shows up. If anything, the entry /dev/ttys002 got a new timestamp when I reloaded the FTDI driver.

The green light is on (steady) and the red one is blinking. What else am I missing?

Thanks!

--

Update: I also tried using the regular Arduino ide on ubuntu and copied board.text and the flora variants dir into the arduino ide's dir. Serial Port from the tools menu is disabled and when running lsusb, I don't get my device listed.

fredfredburger

Re: Flora GPS Starter Pack: Flora not detected on a mac

Post by fredfredburger »

Also, should it make a difference that I bought the starter pack from MakerShed? I did that since the pack was out of stock from adafruit and was being impatient :(

Is there any other information missing from here?

sanju_gem

Post by sanju_gem »

I am having quite a problem installing flora in windows :( . It does not updates the driver given on this link
http://learn.adafruit.com/getting-start ... d-software

my screen shows something like this
Attachments
Screenshot On windows driver install
Screenshot On windows driver install
flora-error.jpg (393.17 KiB) Viewed 2275 times

fredfredburger

Post by fredfredburger »

@sanju_gem: I tried this on windows 8 as well at device manager kept crashing when i would connect the flora and click the scan for new devices button. Didn't post it here since it might have been my windows 8 install. It's weird not seeing it listed under lsusb or anything!

sanju_gem

Post by sanju_gem »

@fredfredburger yes, i started new thread for windows installerhttp://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 73#p182173 ,
and yes your right it crashes a lot ..I tried on Mac and linux both has same problem as u said , no serial device is listed . I went through a lot of other posts. I found few of them posting that its watchdog, which is resetting every time and making problem in this micro-controller http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name ... c&p=797991 . I am not sure how long will it take for Adafruit Experts solving this problem but i really need this for my wearable experiment .

I will post update here as soon as its solved .

fredfredburger

Post by fredfredburger »

Thanks sanju for updating. I should try out what you linked to...will update here if it works.

fredfredburger

Post by fredfredburger »

Some more debugging on a mac (10.8.2) to see if the same problem of no device being recognized in ubuntu (using the lsusb command).

First I ran this command that would list all devices (I didn't want to use the hardware type utility since it's harder to diff info):
$ system_profiler SPUSBDataType > normal
Then I plugged the flora in and waited for a few seconds. Then ran a similar command
$ system_profiler SPUSBDataType > after
Then I diffed the two
$ diff normal after
No output, so nothing different...and no new device detected on a mac.

fredfredburger

Post by fredfredburger »

@sanju regarding the second forum link, it's not possible to debug by uploading barebones firmware code with debug lines, since the flora can't be mounted. So I'm pretty much stuck still.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

@fredfredburger - Try different USB cables and USB ports on your computer. If that doesn't help, try attaching the Flora through a powered USB hub. Since you're running 10.8, I'll assume you have a newer Mac with USB 3.0 ports. We've been seeing some scattered problems with USB 3.0. Sometimes using a powered hub helps with that. In any case, there is a wide range of quality in seemingly identical USB cables. Communication problems are often cured by switching to a different cable.

fredfredburger

Post by fredfredburger »

Thanks! I'll try that when I get home -- I did try different mini-USB cables and no luck, but good point, I'll try a powered usb hub.

Also I did try it on my ASUS U30JCB1 which has usb 2.0 ports, and ubuntu didn't list the flora when executing lsusb... will try that anyway.

fredfredburger

Post by fredfredburger »

Hi,

So I tried it with the powered usb hub (with usb 2.0 ports). USB prober could recognize the hub with 4 ports, but when I would connect the flora to the hub, the status of that port wouldn't change from not-responding to something normal.
USBPortStatuswithouthubandflora.txt
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
USBPortStatuswithhubandflora.txt
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
I tried this in either of the two ports on my macbook. I also tried using an unpowered USB A/A cable and then connected the flora but there was no change.

Do you know which specific kext is related to the flora com driver? I've been unloading and loading those, but it looks like most of the AppleUSBCDC* ones aren't used. Also reloaded the IOUSB one.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Well, it sounds like you've got a bum Flora there. You'll have to contact MakerShed for a replacement.

Tiptaptopal

Post by Tiptaptopal »

I'm having the same problem with the Flora. It is not identifying a usbmodem in the serial port, is there any updates that have solved this problem? I'm on a Mac, and My green light is on and the red light is blinking, but I don't see any other option on Serial Port other than bluetooth ones. I've changed the USB ports, and that hasn't made a difference.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Connect the Flora to the Mac with a USB cable, launch the System Information program, and go to the USB pane. Check to see if there's an item in the list that has identified itself as "Adafruit Flora".

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”