fingerprint sensor not working

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jimk123

fingerprint sensor not working

Post by jimk123 »

I just bought the finderprint sensor #751 and was trying to follow the tutorial. I first tried the 'blank' sketch (grn=d1,wht=d0), downloaded and ran the windows program sfgdemo.exe. It connected ok on the COM port where the arduino is but when I click on capture nothing happens. I tried changing the baud rate to match the enroll sketch (57600) but still nothing. The one thing I noticed is in the video it shows the scanner with a red light but mine the red light only comes on briefly when I first apply power (5v). I did solder the jst wires to a header and tested them with a continuity check so I feel the wiring is ok.

Then I tried the enroll sketch (running 1.0.3) after changing the wiring to uses pins 2=grn ,3=wht, opened the serial monitor and it said "Found fingerprint sensor!" but when I type in a number to enroll and click send, and place my finger over the sensor nothing happens. (again no red light on the sensor like the video shows)

Attached is pic of the wiring. Thoughts ?
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (39.27 KiB) Viewed 729 times

jimk123

Re: fingerprint sensor not working

Post by jimk123 »

sorry meant to say on the SFGdemo.exe when I connected to the com8 port it said 'open device success' and when I checked preview and clicked enroll it says place your finger on the sensor but nothing happens (no red light comes on)

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Your connections look good. When you connect with SFGDemo, does it display the hardware information in the window on the lower left?

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

I ran the .exe again and it does not, even though it says connected. Looking back at your tutorial I noticed it does display some info on the device in the left hand section.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

OK then. Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and we can send you a replacement.

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

update: using the sfgdemo.exe I found that by changing the baudrate=57600, size=128 and level=3 it connected and displayed the hardware info in the left pane and I was then able to enroll finger prints. The tutorial suggested leaving these fields empty initially but I could only get it to work by entering values in those 3 fields. I noticed in the hardware window the product type, sensor name and version were different than the tutorial so maybe somthing changed in latter versions of the hardware. Anyway seems to be working fine now. Thanks Adafruit !

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”