DC Boarduino Question
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

DC Boarduino Question

by DrBunsen on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:53 pm

I have built an 8x8x8 LED Cube using an arduino uno for control. Now that everything is working I'd like to replace the arduino with the DC Boarduino. I've downloaded my code to the boarduino using an FTDI Friend, hooked up the boarduino to the cube and everything works great.

But, here's my problem... if I unhook the FTDI from the boarduino everything continues to run. Now if I remove power from the boarduino and then later reconnect power nothing happens... I expected the code to start running again but it doesn't... not until I reconnect the FTDI Friend with the USB cable connected to the computer. I only have to connect the FTDI briefly and then the code begins to run again... at which point I can disconnect the FTDI again and the cube continues to run.

What's going on that I'm unaware of??? I'd like to be able to have the cube standalone and operate without having to hook it up to my computer every time I want to use it.

Oh... the boarduino is set up with capacitor C6 to enable auto-reset.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks, Tom
DrBunsen

Re: DC Boarduino Question

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Hmmm. Does it start running if you press the reset button after connecting power?
adafruit_support_bill

by DrBunsen on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:47 pm

No, the reset does not work... only thing that gets it going again is hooking up the FTDI... I don't even need to have the arduino IDE open... just plugging in the FTDI to the computer starts it up again.

Is there some type of initialization signal coming through the USB-FTDI that triggers something in the 328 to start?
DrBunsen

by ennbr on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:54 pm

You don't mention have you also moved the power jumper on the board when switching between FTDI and DC Power?
ennbr

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 pm

The RTS line on the FTDI is configured to pulse the reset pin. Post photos of the front and back of the board. I suspect there is a problem with the on-board reset circuit.
adafruit_support_bill