DC Boarduino error stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x5c

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
greenmoon

DC Boarduino error stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x5c

Post by greenmoon »

I just built the DC Boarduino w/ ATmega328. The green LED lights up when I power on. I am using an FTDI Friend to connect to my laptop. When I try to upload a sketch, things seem to be going well until the very end, when I get this error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x5c

This tutorial says I should choose "Diecimila/Duemilanove with 328P" as the board, but that is not an option:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/boarduino/use.html
So, I have tried "Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328". Not sure if that is the right board or not. Please advise.

Also, I have seen others talk about the jumper. I am not sure which is the right way. I tried it both ways. I cannot find any guidance on which position is which. Please advise.

Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: DC Boarduino error stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x5c

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

"Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328" is the correct board type. For use with the FTDI Friend, the jumper should be in the "usb" position (closest to C6). Double check that you have the correct COM port selected.

Also, when you press the reset button, do you get 3 flashes on the red LED?

greenmoon

Post by greenmoon »

Thank you for your quick response!

Yes, I get 3 flashes of the LED. But let me see if I understand the use of the jumper. When I have it set to USB, should I also be getting power to the board from the USB? When I set the jumper to USB and plug in the FDTI, I do not get the green light. I only get the green light if the jumper is set to DC and I have it hooked up to a battery (that's when pressing reset flashes the red LED).

If I am supposed to get power from the USB, then that is not working and I guess I need to troubleshoot that. But please confirm that my understanding of the jumper is correct.

adafruit_support_bill

That is correct. With the jumper set to "usb", you should be getting power from the FTDI cable.

If you post photos of the front and back of the board, we can look it over for any assembly issues that might be affecting USB power.

greenmoon

Post by greenmoon »

Here are photos of the front and back. I think I am going to try to resolder the 6-pin strip for the FTDI. Maybe work backwards from that end. Let me know if you see anything or have any other suggestions.
Attachments
Bottom
Bottom
20130323_1523.JPG (107.16 KiB) Viewed 905 times
20130323_1524.JPG (123.29 KiB) Viewed 905 times

adafruit_support_bill

Don't see any problems on the component side. The solder-side photo is a bit fuzzy, bot the top two solder joints on the FTDI connection do look a bit suspicious. Retouch those joints and make sure that the solder has flowed well onto both the pin and the surrounding solder pad. http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems

greenmoon

Post by greenmoon »

That was it! Great diagnosis from a blurry photo. You guys are amazing. Thank you so much!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”