problem initializing XBee Series 1

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JBG724

problem initializing XBee Series 1

Post by JBG724 »

Hello,
I have an XBee Series 1 hooked to a Parallax USB adaptor (both from Adafruit). The adaptor is connected to the laptop via USB. The green and yellow LEDs are on. The red LED is blinking.

I am using CoolTerm to configure. It says I am connected, but typing +++ doesn't get an OK back. I tried jumping Din and Dout, so there shouldn't be a problem w/ tx/rx. When I type +++ and hit enter, the red LED flashes briefly, so it looks like the adapter is receiving the transmission, but nothing else happens.

How should I troubleshoot from here?

Thanks.

JBG724

Re: problem initializing XBee Series 1

Post by JBG724 »

Just got an OK, but now it's back to ignoring me. After the one OK, I tried +++, AT, ATID, etc., numerous times.

JBG724

Post by JBG724 »

Found the problem.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Found the problem.
and it was?

JBG724

Post by JBG724 »

I should probably have said "fixed" rather than "found," since I got frustrated and changed a bunch of settings in CoolTerm. All I know for sure is that it has been working since I went crazy on it.

I think the fix was a combination of:
1. CoolTerm had RTS checked as a default. I only have the 4 min pins connected, so I unchecked that.
2. I also changed from line mode to character mode for keyboarding. This seemed to affect whether the initial +++ registered.
3. One of the XBees had wrong initialization values. I'm not sure why I was able to do one and not the other, last night. With the current settings, CoolTerm is responding consistently.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Thanks, I think line mode sends a CR at the end of each line which the xbee does not want to see, just "+++"

JBG724

Post by JBG724 »

Yes, that's what I eventually concluded. It was pretty frustrating at 2AM, though. Thanks for your response.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”