MAX98306 Amplifier not working / overheating?

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
keeleon

MAX98306 Amplifier not working / overheating?

Post by keeleon »

I bought a Stereo 3.7W Class D Audio Amplifier - MAX98306 and have it connected to a 6xAA batter pack. I have a 1/8 jack I found in an old speaker wired to the inputs. I am only trying to get one speaker to work on one channel (however, it ONLY works on I believe the right side...) I thought I would be cool and hot glue the whole contraption to a piece of plastic to make a tiny portable amplifier. So the first question is: IS hot glue conductive? I thought it should be ok to attach on the back of PCB boards.

I have had it working off and on, and I think there might have been some cutting out due to a loose connection. But I have verified all the connections to the best of my ability, and everything seems to pass through. The speaker I am using shows 3.5 ohms when I measured it, and the power coming into the amplifier is around 7v. Is that enough? I'd hate to think my batteries are dying since I've barely used it at all.

The other thing is, I read that the amplifier is supposed to be "low heat", but when it is on, it is incredibly hot to the touch in the middle. Like if I held it, it would give me a burn. It has also melted all of the hot glue, so, so much for that connection method >.< Should it get that hot?

Where should I start testing to see what the problem is? Should there be voltage coming out of the speaker outs or something?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: MAX98306 Amplifier not working / overheating?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

6xAA batteries is way too much for this amplifier. It is designed to run on 2.7-5.5vDC.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/987
This incredibly small stereo amplifier is surprisingly powerful - able to deliver 2 x 3.7W channels into 3 ohm impedance speakers. Inside the miniature chip is a class D controller, able to run from 2.7V-5.5VDC.

keeleon

Post by keeleon »

AHA, Thank you! I just used the power supply I had on hand >.< I hope I didn't fry it. Is there a way to test if I did? short of attaching a smaller power supply and hoping it works.

adafruit_support_bill

Try it with a smaller supply. If you don't have a smaller supply handy, you can probably tap into the midpoint of your 6-cell pack for ~ 4.5v.

keeleon

Post by keeleon »

Ugh. so I tapped into the middle of the pack and show 3.9v at the power on the amplifier. And I still get nothing out of it. Does that mean it's dead? Is there anything else I can test on it? Guess I should learn to read and know what I'm doing first >.< At least I didn't electrocute myself or burn the house down...

adafruit_support_bill

I'd say it was dead. Heat is what kills these things and from what you describe it got pretty hot. Normally they run fairly cool.

Garyedwards

Post by Garyedwards »

keeleon wrote:I bought a Stereo 3.7W Class D Audio Amplifier - MAX98306 and have it connected to a 6xAA batter pack. I have a 1/8 jack I found in an old speaker wired to the inputs. I am only trying to get one speakers to work on one channel (however, it ONLY works on I believe the right side...) I thought I would be cool and hot glue the whole contraption to a piece of plastic to make a tiny portable amplifier. So the first question is: IS hot glue conductive? I thought it should be ok to attach on the back of PCB boards.

I have had it working off and on, and I think there might have been some cutting out due to a loose connection. But I have verified all the connections to the best of my ability, and everything seems to pass through. The speaker I am using shows 3.5 ohms when I measured it, and the power coming into the amplifier is around 7v. Is that enough? I'd hate to think my batteries are dying since I've barely used it at all.

The other thing is, I read that the amplifier is supposed to be "low heat", but when it is on, it is incredibly hot to the touch in the middle. Like if I held it, it would give me a burn. It has also melted all of the hot glue, so, so much for that connection method >.< Should it get that hot?

Where should I start testing to see what the problem is? Should there be voltage coming out of the speaker outs or something?
Have you find the solution of over heating amp? I am facing same problem of overheating so can you help me?
Last edited by Garyedwards on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

@Garyedwards - please read the whole thread.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”