Reducing Stepper Vibration

by raidoh on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm using the Stepper #324 with an Adafruit Motor Shield (external 12V wall power) and Arduino Uno R3 (USB power). Using the AFMotor library commands, I'm seeing a lot of vibration in all of the drive modes (Single, Double, Interleave, Microstep), although it does seem significantly reduced using Microstep. But, it's still too much vibration for my application. Do you have any suggestions for further reducing the vibration with this motor?

BTW, I have it wired to M1 and M2 as (left to right) Grey | Green | Skip | Yellow | Red, in case I did that incorrectly.

Thanks.
raidoh

Re: Reducing Stepper Vibration

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:51 pm

It sounds like you have it wired correctly. There are a few approaches to reducing vibration. Some may be more appropriate for your application than others.

You can reduce the drive voltage which will cause the individual steps to be less forceful, but will also reduce overall torque.
You can reduce coupling of the stepper vibration via compliant motor mounts and/or drive belts.
You can move to a geared stepper to increase the number of steps per revolution.
adafruit_support_bill