LED Flora Shirt

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Casper133

LED Flora Shirt

Post by Casper133 »

Hi,

I am making an LED T-shirt to rep the Flora at upcoming concerts at Redrocks, CO.
Planning on using 60 smart neo pixels version 2. I basically want my shirt have different modes which I have created and be able to swith between them.
With this many LED's, which battery do you suggest for optimal brightness and length of use? (I have an awesome 12V 6800Mah DC battery; would it work if I stripped the cable coming out of the battery and stripped one end of the extender cable you guys carry, so I can connect them and plug directly into the Flora?

Also, do you suggest using just the medium conductive thread or would I need stainless steel conductive ribbon for this many LED's?
I am not sure how I am going to switch settings on the lights, is there an arduino I need? Or a remote? If I could have one setting make the lights bounce to the music that would be epic..... if you know how..... :)

So far here is my shopping cart, what else am I going to need?

FLORA - Wearable electronic platform: Arduino-compatible
15 Flora RGB Smart Neo Pixel version 2 - Pack of 4
Stainless Medium Conductive Thread - 3 ply - 18 meter/60 ft
Needle set - 3/9 sizes - 20 needles
Small Alligator Clip Test Lead (set of 12)
JST-PH Battery Extension Cable - 500mm

rahatmaini

Re: LED Flora Shirt

Post by rahatmaini »

I'm pretty sure you dont really want to use regular conductive thread, it won't be good enough to supply 60 pixels, you will likely need ribbon cable. As for the battery, just look at what the Neopixel 60 RGB LED strip uses as power source, I'm not sure of it but on the product page it lists a source of power through a wall outlet. Just find a battery with similar specifications as the Strip power source.

Becky Stern herself says more than 15 pixels and conductive thread is not the best idea.

Good luck on your suit!
Rahat

rahatmaini

Re: LED Flora Shirt

Post by rahatmaini »

Oh and by the way, the RF T4 receiver with the keyfob remote sold in the shop is an EXCELLENT choice, especially for people who dont know how to use xbee and just need 4 buttons on the remote. I love mine, its dead simple to set up with Flora, Raspberry pi, or stock Arduinos.

The highlight is that they only cost around 13 bucks, and you can get both the remote and the receiver (comes in three versions, based on your needs I recommend T4 vs M4 or L4)

I love those RF modules so much!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”