Several problems with my order

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
yigangfang

Several problems with my order

Post by yigangfang »

I ordered a batch of parts for our lab two weeks ago, and received the package last week (with order #: 262518).

After several hours of testing, I found several problem, described as follows.

1. The cable which comes with the USB serial LCD backpack (#782) is wrong. It has two wires (instead of 3 wires) and could not match the socket.
If necessary, I can take pictures of it. Let me know.
BTW, I found a typo on the silkscreen on this PCB. The 1st wire of this cable should be RX, not TX.

2. After full assembly, the USBtinyISP (#46) was connected to a PC (windows 7 32-bit), but can not be recognized. I followed the instructions very carefully (install drivers, etc.) and it didn't work. The PC showed it was an unknown device, and it didn't show anything like USBtiny or any string related to it or adafruit. So I guess the ATTINY2313 is a blank chip maybe???

3. The XBee Pro ZB2 (#967) cannot be recognized by X-CTU. For comparison, XBee Pro S1 (#964) can be configured without any problem following this link. http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/configure.html

4. The 1.8" lcd (#802) works ok. However, it cannot fit into an arduino enclosure because of lacking of one mounting hole. From this picture, http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... ge&pID=802, the copper dot at the bottom right corner should be a through hole.
Also, the lcd panel is not fixed on the pcb? I see one end is touching the pcb, but the other end is hanging in the air.

Please advise how we can fix these. Thanks a lot.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Several problems with my order

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

1. Please post a photo of the cable so we can see what you actually received.
2. Do you see any led activity on the USBTinyISP when you plug it in?
3. How are you connecting these? Did you test both modules using the same FTDI cable and adapter?
4. The shield is designed to be mounted on an Arduino via the headers, so the mounting holes are not normally used. There are no traces in the area, so you could drill it out if needed. I will check into the mounting of the display to the board itself.

[Edit - follow-up]
I checked with production and this is the way the boards are built. You can further secure the display screen to the shield with some double-sided tape if needed.

yigangfang

Post by yigangfang »

1. Please see the attached photo for the wrong cable.

2. I re-programmed the chip on usbtiny with another programmer. It's working now.

3. Yes, I use the same usb cable and xbee usb adapter (product #247) to test these two the two XBee's.

I did further test and found something interesting. Every time I reboot my pc (win7 pro 64b), the xbee can be configured the first time it was connected, no matter which model. After disconnect and re-connect, it cannot be recognized by X-CTU. Really weird.

The error msg when connecting Xbee to pc is:
Unable to communicate with modem.

Both green and orange leds on the xbee adapter light up.

4. Never mind.
Attachments
wrong cable. Should be 3-pin
wrong cable. Should be 3-pin
wrong.cable.2-pin.JPG (287.54 KiB) Viewed 764 times

adafruit_support_bill

It looks like you got a battery cable instead of a serial backpack cable. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can get the right one out to you.
The XBee issue it a strange one. After disconnect and re-connect, does the adapter show up in the Device Manager?

yigangfang

Post by yigangfang »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:It looks like you got a battery cable instead of a serial backpack cable. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can get the right one out to you.
The XBee issue it a strange one. After disconnect and re-connect, does the adapter show up in the Device Manager?
The adapter always work okay. I have several of them, and all are fine.

After restart a couple of times , I found that it's always the XBee Pro S1 not working. The other one always works fine.
I tried on different computers, and it remains the same.
Based on these, I think something is wrong with the XBee Pro S1. Is there any way to Hard-Reset it? Otherwise, will you send me a replacement after I send this back?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

After restart a couple of times , I found that it's always the XBee Pro S1 not working.
When it is not working, is the adapter visible as a COM port in the Device Manager?

yigangfang

Post by yigangfang »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:
After restart a couple of times , I found that it's always the XBee Pro S1 not working.
When it is not working, is the adapter visible as a COM port in the Device Manager?
As I said, the adapter always works okay. I always keep the device manager window open when I tested these. The adapter is visible as a com port each and every time.

I'm going to place another order for my lab very soon (which totals ~$400 I expect). So the replacement could be shipped with that order to save some shipping cost.

adafruit_support_bill

OK. Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”