Flora with RGB smart pixels

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wingnut59

Flora with RGB smart pixels

Post by wingnut59 »

So, the flora can be powered from 3.3v to 16v as the input voltage. With the RGB smart pixels V2, should they be connected to vbatt or 3.3v? is the full 16V at the vbatt connector? My project uses 7 of these pixels and what it to run for as long as possible. What would you suggest for this type of setup?

Thanks

kkolbo

Re: Flora with RGB smart pixels

Post by kkolbo »

While I can not find the information in the specifications about how much voltage the neo Pixels will handle. I suspect that they can not handle more than 6v. In the tutorails from Becky she has used 3.7v LiPo batteries or three AAA batteries, becuase four AAA's that are fresh would exceed 6v.

I have found that they are quite happy at 5v.

I only bring this up becuase VBATT will be the raw voltage and current from the power source. If you are using a higher voltage source you could damage the neo Pixels if you do not do something to regulate it.

It would be great if support could confirm my assumptions. Max voltage for the neo pixels would be good to post on the product page.

KK

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It would be great if support could confirm my assumptions. Max voltage for the neo pixels would be good to post on the product page.
KK is correct. They work well at 3.3v or 5v. Voltages over 6v will damage them. I'll get that spec added to the product description.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the flora & bb neopixels have an extra VCC resistor and are able to handle up to 9V (altho they get a little hotter so watch out for that) the STRIPS can only handle up to 5V (5.5V is probably OK too) as they do not have that extra resistor

kkolbo

Post by kkolbo »

Ask and ye shall receive :D

kk

wingnut59

Post by wingnut59 »

Thanks all

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”