ADAFRUIT Order #223815

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
watchmavin

ADAFRUIT Order #223815

Post by watchmavin »

This order was for two ADS1115 16-bit ADCs. One was installed in March 2013 on and was running for a month when the TI chip started to smoke and cratered. The second ADS1115 from the same order was used to replace the fried one (May 2013) and is working properly. All voltages and connection were checked and are within spec. The Arduino was unaffected. I am asking that the defective ADS1115 be replaced. Thank you.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: ADAFRUIT Order #223815

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'm afraid you're beyond our straight-replacement window. By default, that extends 30 days, but we occasionally make exceptions if a device stops working shortly after delivery and it takes a long time to establish the nature of a hardware failure.

In this case, you say the device provided about 700 hours of service before failing. It's extremely unusual for production defects to show up after that long, and impossible to write off the cumulative effects of the operating enviroment. We can't do replacements on those terms without being eaten alive.

watchmavin

Post by watchmavin »

Thank you for your response. Your calculation of 700 hours is incorrect. Perhaps I should have been clearer; all told, over the one month period the number of actual operating hours on the device, while configuring the software, etc. could be estimated at about a dozen hours. It is unusual for a modern IC to fail, but it happens. Nor did I realize that I was under a time limit to request the replacement. I thought you would stand behind the products you sell.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we've never had to replace this item because of failure after use, we do not mind helping you out, it's outside our return period or what most companies would consider reasonable, please email [email protected] and we'll work something.

watchmavin

Post by watchmavin »

Thank you for doing the right thing and standing behind your product.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”