Schematic for VS1053 Codec + MicroSD Breakout

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kscharf

Schematic for VS1053 Codec + MicroSD Breakout

Post by kscharf »

I've searched your GIThub, but I couldn't find a schematic for the VS1053 Codec + MicroSD Breakout board, just the early library code. Can you post a link to the schematic?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Schematic for VS1053 Codec + MicroSD Breakout

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I don't think those files are ready to be published yet. We're working on the documentation, including a tutorial, but still have to get everything organized for public consumption.

Was there anything specific you wanted to know about the circuit?

kscharf

Post by kscharf »

Mostly to see how the various interface signals from the VS1053 are pinned out and voltage level adjusted.
I bought a breakout board for this chip off ebay sometime back before your's was available, and I'm thinking of combining it with your SD breakout board that I have (I should be able to connect similar signals together to use the level translators on the SD board). It should also work with the same code. I also bought an FM radio on a chip from Sparkfun. I'm thinking of using the Chronodot I got from you with the VS1053, the FM radio chip, a 128x64 GLCD, and an Arduino or USB Teensy to make an AF/FM/MP3 Alarm clock, hopefully using LUFA mass storage libraries to be able to download files from a PC to the clock.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Dang.. that should keep you busy for a couple of hours. ;-)

I'll check to see if anyone involved in the design has that information arranged in a way that's portable enough to help. In the meantime, the datasheets and app notes linked from the 'Technical details' tab on the product page might help.

The connection diagram on page 13 of this one seems particularly relevant: http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/vs1053.pdf

kscharf

Post by kscharf »

As soon as you get the 3.7 watt amp back in stock I think I will order that, a pair of 3" speakers, and a 28pin ssop breakout board for the radio chip from sparkfun. I might also get the tinsy, but for the moment I have a atmega1284p dev board running with the arduino bootloader. I noticed that the ebay vs1053 board is missing some 100k pulldowns on the GPIO lines which could cause the chip to come up in MIDI mode. Soldering two of the pins (33 and 34) together fixes that. I will remove the LED from the SD breakout board to gain an additional inverter so I can use the level shifter on the SD card to also drive the two chip selects and reset line on the vs1053 breakout board. I have one of your level converter boards that will be used to drive the I2C lines to the radio chip.

Yeah this will be an interresting idea. If you replace the avr on the Monochron with an ATmega1284p I think you could add the radio and mp3 functions with your breakout board and the radio chip. (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11737)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”