DC Boarduino Components

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
befudled

DC Boarduino Components

Post by befudled »

I can't figure out why I my Boarduino 5V Regulator circuit will not work. I have attempted to install the specified components on the circuit board. I have substituted the recommended 47uF/25V capacitor with a 47uF/50V and the 100uF/6.3V with a 100uF/50V capacitor. All the other components are the ones specified on the parts list. I am sure that the capacitors are attached correctly, the diode and the green LED are also installed with the correct polarity. I used a 1K resistor attached to the LED. I have checked to make sure there are no soldering mistakes. Can anyone think of something I am doing wrong?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: DC Boarduino Components

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I can't figure out why I my Boarduino 5V Regulator circuit will not work.
Can you be more specific? Is the output voltage wrong, or is there no output at all?
If you post photos of your build so far we may be able to spot the problem.

befudled

Post by befudled »

It seems that I might have a combination of things happening. One problem I am having is making solder stick to the board. I am using a 60/40 resin core solder and a hot soldering iron but it does not want to to stay on the solder points. Also, I did get the LED to light but it slowly faded and it will not come back on. Can I clean the board with a solvent of some sort to help with the solder problem? Also, from what I have explained do you think that there might be a faulty component? Unfortunately, I do not have a camera that will take close up pictures so I can’t show you the board at this time. If you could refer me to a diagram, where on the board can I check the output voltage? As you probably can tell I don’t have a lot of electronics background.

adafruit_support_bill

You can wipe the board down with some isopropyl alcohol to clean it. You might also want to start by reading through our soldering guide: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... -soldering

befudled

Post by befudled »

Well, I finally got it to work. My bad, I did not have the jumper on the pins and without it the circuit was open. Duh!!!

OK, now is there a way to attach a 16 MHZ crystal instead of using the 16 MHZ ceramic oscillator? The oscillator has three leads and the crystal has two.

adafruit_support_bill

You will need two capacitors to build the oscillator circuit. You can use the Duemilanove schematic as a guide: http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ardui ... ematic.pdf

befudled

Post by befudled »

Is it possible to power multiple boards from one power source. I want to use a 12v walwart. I have one Boarduino that will have one sweep servo, one that has multiblink LED’s and the other and is actually three Attiny85 chips with one LED on each wired in parallel? The Attin85s are wired to 5Volt regulator? Would a power supply splitter work for this?

adafruit_support_bill

You can power them from a single source, provided that it is capable of supplying enough current. The LEDs and microprocessors will need about 20mA each. The Servo will be the biggest single draw. Depending on the servo, it could be anywhere from a few hundred mA to more than 1A.

befudled

Post by befudled »

OK. now I have two Boarduinos getting power from a 9 volt DC walwart source connected to a 4 plug DC power splitter cable. One Boarduino is programmed for an LED multiblink, the other for a sweep servo. Both Boarduinos are 5 volt regulated. I also have one of the DC splitter plugs connected to three 5 Attiny 85 chips wired in parraIel with one fading LED on each. I want to connect a LED strip to another output on the DC splitter cable but when I do, the strip blinks when everything is powered. The LED strip is getting power directly from the 9 volt source through one of the splitter plugs. The LED strip is one color. The servo is getting power from a separate 4AA battery pack. Is there a way to isolate the LED strip so its output is constant and still run off the DC splitter? Is this a voltage or current problem?

adafruit_support_bill

Most likely a current problem. LED strips use a lot.

What kind of LED strip is it? Most of the digital strips are designed for 5v operation and will be damaged by 9v.

befudled

Post by befudled »

The LED strip is the analog type that can be powered up to 12 volts.

adafruit_support_bill

Better to give the led strip its own power supply. Depending on how long it is, it could easily draw more than your servo.

befudled

Post by befudled »

The strip is only about three inches long.

adafruit_support_bill

How many pixels? Monochrome or RGB?

Figure on 20 mA per monochrome pixel. 60 mA for each RGB pixel. 3 RGB pixels is about the same current as a small servo.

befudled

Post by befudled »

I will probably need another power source, Thanks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”