Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Shield - I2C interface

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Elmar88

Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Shield - I2C interface

Post by Elmar88 »

Hi!

I just got the adafruit servo controller through the mail and I soldered all the pins and connected it to the arduino and the PC.
Now I expected the servos to start rotating when I uploaded the servo test script. I installed the library and everything like demonstrated in the tutorial.
I triple checked the SCL in the analog 5 and SDA in analog 4. I use a 5V 2A external power supply. I use an Arduino Uno Rev. 3. I added some pictures from my setup.
Does anyone have a clue why it is not working?

Thanks!
Elmar

Elmar88

Re: Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Shield - I2C interf

Post by Elmar88 »

I tried putting a led on the screws to see if the powersupply is working. It is working. Then I tried to put a led between V+ and GND of one of the 16 servo channels here it didnt burn. My intuition says it should but im not sure.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It looks like your breakout is missing the polarity protection mosfet that should go just above the power LED. That connects power from the terminal blocks to the rest of the board.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and we'll get you a replacement.

Elmar88

Post by Elmar88 »

Thanks for the help :)
When i checked my board with an image from the adafruit website I found that you might mean the part marked in the image.

Could I replace it myself or solder it in such a way that i might not have the polarity protection(I dont need it if i put the power on it in the right way)?
I hope this is possible since it would be much quicker :)

Elmar88

Post by Elmar88 »

I tried putting a diode in between but that didnt work for some reason. it did complete the circuit however. Than i tried soldering the 2 points together and now its working :D
I added a picture. I now its an ugly solder but its working anyway.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What you actually want is a transistor, but bridging the pads with solder will work.

Be careful about connecting power to the terminal blocks with the pads bridged though: you no longer have any protection from connecting the power backwards. It is possible to fry the devices you're controlling by connecting the power backwards.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”