CC3000, wifi and datalogging at the same time?

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
andywatson

CC3000, wifi and datalogging at the same time?

Post by andywatson »

I have a CC3000 shield that I'd like to add to a datalogger that I build using an Uno and an Adafruit datalogger shield. I had some issues in the past trying to add an ethernet shield to my logger due to conflicts on the SPI pins so I gave up. Is there a way to prevent those SPI conflicts, or is it redundant because of the SD card slot on the CC3000 shield? What exactly is the purpose of the SD card slot on the wifi and ethernet shields? I haven't seen much written about them so I'm a little confused about their purpose. Can I just write data to a card on the wifi shield and then I can get rid of the datalogger shield, assuming I can find a way for the device to maintain the current date/time.

sketchy

Re: CC3000, wifi and datalogging at the same time?

Post by sketchy »

Wow great question! I'd like to know the answers also.

I'd also like to know if it is possible to change the chip select on the Adafruit SD shield. If so, how? (i.e.: right now it seems fixed at cs = 10).

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Without an SD card, the Arduino is limited by the amount of free memory it has, which will be a few kilobytes at most. If you want to serve webpages or store information, you need more space. It's a common enough requirement that adding it to the shields makes sense, and people who don't want to use that feature can just ignore it.

The SD card on a shield acts just like an SD card in a breakout, so the code is the same regardless of how the wiring is arranged. Last time I checked, the SD library could only deal with one SD card, so you can avoid conflicts just by ignoring one of the redundant SD slots.

andywatson

Post by andywatson »

So I can save sensor data to a text file on the SD card on the CC3000 shield, then I can send that text file to a remote server via FTP?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

In theory yes.. you'd need to write code to handle the whole FTP session though.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”