VS1053 Codec and MicroSD SD file information

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
flyingalan

VS1053 Codec and MicroSD SD file information

Post by flyingalan »

I want to use this board with an Arduino Mega to make basic MP3 player with an LCD readout.

1. Can the SD card information like "Title","Artist", "Album" etc be read out via SPI and displayed on say a 1602 LCD display running on IIC/I2C interface to Arduino ? Is and sketch code available ?

2. Is there any kind of signal to noise specification available. Reason I ask is that I played with another MP3 decoder board, and when music file was selected and started to play, a low level background buzz and pulsing noise also started. The level of this noise output from the MP3 board was constant and independent of the MP3 music file output level selected from the board. At high MP3 volume levels this noise was drowned out, but in quiet music passages was objectionable. It originated from the MP3 decoder board only when the MP3 music file was started and was some 40 db below a loud MP3 file being played at max volume. I tried sepeate 5V regulator for MP3/SD thinking it might come from Arduino but this made no difference, noise definitely seems to originate from the MP3 board I was using. Is this kind of noise typical of the VS1053 decoder process or should I expect a negligible background noise coming from the Adafruit board when in use ?

Thanks and appreciate any help/guidance that can be given

Alan

adafruit_support_bill

Re: VS1053 Codec and MicroSD SD file information

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

1. If the information is in the files, it can be read. We do not have any sample code to extract it.
2. The VS1053 chip documentation lists a Signal/Noise ratio of 94dB @ full scale. http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/vs1053.pdf

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”