Use of TCS34725, TMP006 in a single sketch using Teensy 3.0

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gbathree

Use of TCS34725, TMP006 in a single sketch using Teensy 3.0

Post by gbathree »

I am designing a device with several different sensors on a single I2C, including the TCS34725 and TMP006.

The problem is it doesn't seem like you can use both TCS and TMP006 libraries at the same time, since they both affect wire. And if you want to use another device that uses wire, it doesn't work anymore because wire is affected by tcs or tmp006.

I know that I could combine the libraries by rewriting them, but that's a bit of a pain. Just wondering if anyone has any experience making these things all work together without lots of recoding.

Thanks,

Greg

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Use of TCS34725, TMP006 in a single sketch using Teensy

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I'm not sure what you mean by "affect wire". I2C is a bus - you can have multiple I2C devices attached to the same two pins.

gbathree

Post by gbathree »

Sorry... yes I'm aware I can have multiple devices on the same data and clock pins. I mean when you try to use Wire.begin and tcs.begin and tmp006.begin all in the same file, the Teensy 3.0 locks up during void setup() (see code below, the serial statements are just for debugging). I know that you can use tmp and tcs without adafruit's libraries (that is, just using wire instead), but they make things particularly easy. So has anyone else had this experience on this or suggestions on how to utilize all of these libraries at the same time? Is there some other workaround I'm not thinking of?

Code: Select all

delay(3000);
  Serial.begin(115200); // set baud rate for Serial communication to computer via USB
  Serial.println("Serial works");
  Serial1.begin(115200); // set baud rate for bluetooth communication on pins 0,1
  Serial.println("Serial1 works");
  Serial3.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("Serial3 works");
  Wire.begin(); // This causes the actinic light not to flash, and 
  Serial.println("Wire works");
  tcs.begin(); // tcs.begin put here causes teensy 3.0 to lock up
  Serial.println("TCS works");
  tmp006.begin();
  Serial.println("tmp works");

adafruit_support_rick

First of all, there's no need to call Wire.begin, as tcs.begin() and tmp006.begin() both also call Wire.begin.

And that's where I'm guessing the problem is. tcs.begin does some wire writes, which will complete asynchronously. Meanwhile, tmp006.begin reinitializes everything by calling Wire.begin again.

Try putting a delay in between tcs.begin() and tmp006.begin(). If that doesn't help, then try editing the begin function in the TMP006 library to comment out the call to Wire.begin.

gbathree

Post by gbathree »

Yep ok - that makes sense. I probably could have figured that it but it would have taken hours and hours. I'll try it out tomorrow and report back -

Thanks!

Greg

paulstoffregen

Post by paulstoffregen »

One other thing to check is that you have pullup resistors. On Teensy 3.0, real pullup resistors are required on SDA and SCL. 4.7K is recommended, but 10k to 1K works fine. With AVR-based Arduino, you can get away with no real pullup resistors because weak pullups on the chip are used. On Teensy 3.0, real pullup resistors are required.

If the pullup resistors are missing, either SDA or SCL can remain low, which indicates a bus busy condition. The Wire library will wait forever, which appears as a lockup similar to what you've described.

If that doesn't fix this problem, please post it as a bug report here:

http://forum.pjrc.com/forums/4-Suggesti ... ug-Reports

Your bug report MUST include a complete program and direct links to the exact libraries you're using, and any other details needed to exactly reproduce the problem.

adafruit_support_rick

The TMP006 has pullups, and I believe the TCS34725 does as well.

You should also make sure your jumper connections are good. How long are your jumper wires?

gbathree

Post by gbathree »

Just wanted to follow up to close this out. I still need to include all of the relevant libraries at the top of the file, but just opening wire through tmp006.begin() works - so you don't need to also call tcs.begin() or wire.begin(). See code below for example:

We also learned something else pretty interesting about the tmp006. We're installing the chip directly onto our board, but we bought a few Adafruit versions so we had a known control to compare to. Well, we found that without silk screen directly beneath the tmp006 (ie just using copper proto boards) you get nonsense answers (see the discussion on the TI forum here: http://e2e.ti.com/support/other_analog/ ... 00344.aspx). So it's important, because the tmp006 uses a comparator sensor on the bottom of the chip, that the material beneath the chip has high emissivity.

Thanks everyone for your help -

Greg

Code: Select all

void setup() {
  delay(3000);
  Serial.begin(115200);                                                         // set baud rate for Serial, used for communication to computer via USB
  Serial.println("Serial works");
  Serial1.begin(115200);                                                        // set baud rate for Serial 1 used for bluetooth communication on pins 0,1
  Serial.println("Serial1 works");
  Serial3.begin(9600);                                                          // set baud rate for Serial 3 is used to communicate with the CO2 sensor
  Serial.println("Serial3 works");
  delay(500);
  tmp006.begin();                                                              // this opens wire.begin as well, and initializes tmp006, tcs light sensor, and htu21D.  by default, contactless leaf temp measurement takes 4 seconds to complete

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”