Bluefruit EZ-Link as a "wireless console cable"?

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
spoonman1227

Bluefruit EZ-Link as a "wireless console cable"?

Post by spoonman1227 »

I recently purchased the Bluefruit EZ-Link along with a LiPo battery and charger to build up a "wireless console cable" to administer my network gear at work....

The Bluefruit is working working properly. I can pair it with a few different computers and follow the testing procedures on the learning system. For completeness, I am trying to connect to an HP Procurve 2510 series using the included console cable (RJ45 to DB9F). I am able to use this cable fine with my USB-Serial convertor, but I would LOVE to have something wireless when I am working on the switches in the wiring closets.

The weirdness is when I try to connect it to one of my switches. I am wiring up the EZ-Link to a DB9 cable I had laying around from an old computer. You know the one... has the gray ribbon cable with the 10 pin IDC connector on the end. I am just using some breadboard jumper wires to connect the two together for testing until I have everything working.

I have confirmed that the DB9 cable is wired straight-through.... I.E. pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc. and connected the proper pins together, rx to rx, tx to tx, etc.... When I plug in the console cable, the RX light on the EZ-Link just stays on constantly... the TX light blinks when I press a key on my laptop, so the laptop seems to be communicating with the EZ-Link OK.

At first, I was wondering if it is an issue with the 3V logic on the EZ-Link and the switch wanting 5V (TTL), but then again, I would also assume that the rx light would NOT be on all the time when hooked up to the console cable.....

I forgot my multimeter at home, so I can't pinout the DB9 to IDC cable to make sure I have the correct pins, but I can check that again later just to be certain. I may also try to program one of my Arduinos when I get home tonight just to make sure the EZ-Link is working ok per the tutorials...

So the question I have for the community is this, has anyone tried this yet??? Other than Arduino programming, what other serial applications are known to work with the EZ-link?

Thanks in advance for the help..

--Vern

lawlessjr

Re: Bluefruit EZ-Link as a "wireless console cable"?

Post by lawlessjr »

Was there ever a solution for this? I'm having a similar issue.

Mark

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Bluefruit EZ-Link as a "wireless console cable"?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The original post is a couple of years old, so the hardware and code have changed.

What hardware do you have, how do you have it connected, what code are you using, and what's the last correct thing the system does before it does what it shouldn't?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”