Ultimate GPS - Seeing good data in the Serial Monitor?

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pherris

Ultimate GPS - Seeing good data in the Serial Monitor?

Post by pherris »

Hi there, I have an Arduino Uno R3 and the GPS shield with the Arduino WiFi R3 shield. Going through the tutorial http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ulti ... ct-connect I am able to see the data using the direct connect method. However, when I try to go to the Soft Serial section of the tutorial (http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ulti ... al-connect) I see either nothing in the Serial Monitor or a bunch of junk data (y with an umlaut and other random characters). I've been working with the leo_echo sketch. Yes I have the baud rate set to 9600 in the monitor. I even tried monitoring with Putty.

[*]How do I get readable data from the Serial Monitor to confirm my shield is working with my Uno? (when my WiFi shield is not attached)
[*]Can the GPS shield be used with the WiFi shield? The WiFi shield says "Digital pin 7 is used as a handshake between the WiFi shield and the Arduino, and should not be used." but based on the sketch, the GPS shield is also using pin 7?
[*]The tutorial doesnt specify that we need to flip the switch from 'Direct' to 'Soft. Serial' (I tried both ways)

Side note - when I attached my GPS antenna the attachment on the board ripped a little. I've got it working now but seems that you really have to watch how much that antenna pulls.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ultimate GPS - Seeing good data in the Serial Monitor?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes I have the baud rate set to 9600 in the monitor.
That is the correct baud-rate for the GPS module, but the sample code from the library is using 57600 baud to communicate back to the Serial Monitor:

Code: Select all

void setup() {
  while (!Serial); // wait for leo to be ready

Serial.begin(57600); // this baud rate doesn't actually matter!
  Serial1.begin(9600);
  delay(2000);
  Serial.println("Get version!");
  Serial1.println(PMTK_Q_RELEASE);

// you can send various commands to get it started
  //mySerial.println(PMTK_SET_NMEA_OUTPUT_RMCGGA);
  mySerial.println(PMTK_SET_NMEA_OUTPUT_ALLDATA);

mySerial.println(PMTK_SET_NMEA_UPDATE_1HZ);
 }
Not familiar with the Arduino WiFi. We don't carry those. But if the documentation says it is used, then you should choose different pins for your software serial.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”