Powering Bluefruit EZ-Link from Boarduino

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bushi

Powering Bluefruit EZ-Link from Boarduino

Post by bushi »

It appears from the Boarduino schematic that you could jumper all the PWR SEL pins together to supply 5v to the FTDI +5 pin. Would this work to power a Bluefruit EZ-Link or am I missing something? Of course, you'd remove the jumper if using a regular FTDI connection.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Powering Bluefruit EZ-Link from Boarduino

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hmm.. interesting idea.

In theory it would work, but creating a permanent connection across those three pins would turn a DC Boarduino into a FTDI cable killer. If you forget to disconnect the external power before plugging in the cable, there's a good chance you'll kill the FTDI chip.

You don't need an FTDI cable to program the Boarduino if you have an EZ-Link connected to it though, and yes, you'd want the power to do the other way.

If you're going to do that, I'd suggest making a removable 3-pin jumper. Get a short chunk of female header and solder a piece of wire across all the tabs. That way you can make the connection when you want it and remove it when you want to go back to using a regular cable.

Personally, I'd still prefer to wire the EZ-Link's 5v pin to the Boarduino's 5v pin. The connections may not be as pretty, but that's what the 5v pin is for.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”