Problem with PiTFT MiniKit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
fransko

Re: Problem with PiTFT MiniKit

Post by fransko »

when i toutch the screen from mine pitft minikit i see the cursor on my tv moving????

fransko

Post by fransko »

i have the solution
go to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf
then edit in the file /dev/fb0 to fb1
when you go to startx the minikit give the display

fransko

Post by fransko »

i have the solution
go to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf
then edit in the file /dev/fb0 to fb1
when you go to startx the minikit give the display

torkildr

Post by torkildr »

I've been having exactly the same symptoms:
windl wrote:this one says dmesg:

159.053829] fbtft_device: Setting pin 24 to 2
[ 159.130848] stmpe-spi spi0.1: unknown chip id: 0xffff
[ 159.130896] stmpe-spi: probe of spi0.1 failed with error -22
[ 159.130927] fbtft_device: Deleting spi0.0 (spi0.0)
After a lot testing I managed to trace the problem to the Pi T-Cobbler breakout board (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1105). I only got these issues when it was connected. I resoldered all the connections on it and examined it for shorts but cannot find anything wrong. The problem persists though so I guess I have to have another, closer look.

mlsoong

Post by mlsoong »

I had same problem with the chip id=0x00 error like many of you and tried all solutions put forth in this forum to no avail. Finally by changing to a different Raspberry Pi board I managed to successfully the PiTFT. It is most probably a faulty SPI pins or the circuitry.

f1guref0ur

Post by f1guref0ur »

Hi,

I'm having this problem also. After following the TFT tutorial I get as far as issuing the startx command. The TFT remains blank (having changed from white to black) and the X session (initiated from my SSH connection) seems to hang. It's not possible to use CTRL-C to escape from the session.

This is what I see in my SSH session:

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# modprobe spi-bcm2708
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# modprobe fbtft_device name=adafruitts rotate=90
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# export FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# startx

X.Org X Server 1.12.4
Release Date: 2012-08-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-2-mx5 armv7l Debian
Current Operating System: Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #26 PREEMPT Tue Nov 26 18:19:51 SGT 2013 armv6l
Kernel command line: dma.dmachans=0x7f35 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=1824 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=984 bcm2708.boardrev=0xd bcm2708.serial=0xcdf5d3c1 smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:F5:D3:C1 sdhci-bcm2708.emmc_clock_freq=100000000 vc_mem.mem_base=0x1ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x20000000 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
Build Date: 18 December 2013 05:20:52PM
xorg-server 2:1.12.4-6+deb7u2 (Julien Cristau <[email protected]>)
Current version of pixman: 0.29.3
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu May 8 16:25:42 2014
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"

I tried commenting the fbdev option in the fbturbo.conf file, and changing that value to fb1, but in these cases I get a fatal error indicating that the g2d_23 module is not found. I followed the advice in the tutorial and moved this file out of the way. Although I'm not now seeing any errors when I launch X, the screen is still blank. The referenced logfile (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) is empty.

Can anyone help with this? I'm currently downloading an older Raspbian image from an academic mirror site, but for obvious reasons would like to use the latest supported build. I'm fairly disappointed that I can't get the screen working having invested some time and money in it (and buying a nice Pibow TFT case).

Thanks

Chris

f1guref0ur

Post by f1guref0ur »

Ok, so I have this working now, and big respect (and thanks) to the Adafruit crew for putting this all together. The screen is excellent mounted in the Pibow TFT case.

The issue is definitely that you need to use Raspbian 2013-09-25. If others have got the newer version to work I'm all ears ;)

I struggled to find an archived copy of the image for that release, but eventually came across it here: http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/raspberrypi/ ... 013-09-27/

I did find that I had some problems with references to /dev/input/touchscreen. It didn't exist. I'm currently using a hard-coded value of event0 as this works (for now). I guess that as soon as I start plugging in other devices I may run into problems though. That's an issue for another day :)

mapper55

Post by mapper55 »

I had the same problem until I noticed the case in the line

sudo mv /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf ~

I was typing in x11, not X11.

Henso

Post by Henso »

Total NOOB tearing what little hair I have left out and I can see lots of other people having issues also
Really struggling with PiTFT and Raspi to get it working and I have used many different versions of Wheezy currently using Sept 2013 version with a bare install no updates and no additional libraries installed I am following the guide to a tee but still having issues I get to the sudo modprobe portion and when I run sudo modprobe fbtft_device name=adafruitts rotate=90 screen flashes for a second the reverts to white, no screen motion when export FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1 is ran then when I run startx ( running Raspi through Motorola Lapdock) screen goes black and does nothing and have to power pi down
I will attach picture so you can see my soldering I pumped solder off my board and re-soldered all joints but all with little or no effect the same issue persists please please help me resolve this issue as it is just making me want to throw my Pi stuff in a drawer and forget about it.

Updates.

1.Just to update when I use the trackpad on the Motorola Trackpad the TFT flashes, any suggestions?

2.Screen is still white but obviously something is working as the touch screen works with touch as I can move the mouse about with no calibration yet performed.

3. After a reboot TFT not working again :( also got rid of gdbus error by disabling - LXPolKit

22/05/2014

Well after 4 very frustrating evenings trying to get this screen to work with my Pi I am going to write this of as a bad purchase as well as the Pi and just place it in my trash and not worth doing anything with drawer, I know it is all about getting involved and doing things yourself but to a total NOOB who has never really used a computer or electronics before it would of been nice for someone like me if a pre built Raspbian image had been created all configured and working to stop my stress levels from rising

I have followed the guide to a tee using 4 different builds of wheezy and all to no avail

If anyone feels like they could assist I will check the forums to see if anyone posts a reply
Attachments
WP_20140520_008.jpg
WP_20140520_008.jpg (348.25 KiB) Viewed 721 times
see soldering in this picture
see soldering in this picture
WP_20140520_007.jpg (359.16 KiB) Viewed 721 times

Rich_Willis

Post by Rich_Willis »

Hi there, I have exactly the same issue, absolutely driving me crazy, any help in overcoming this frame buffer issue would be gratefully received.

sharangan

Post by sharangan »

Hi

Has there been a solution to this problem, as I have just tried to install it on mine and have the same problem.

Please tell me I haven't wasted my time and money on something that doesn't work/isn't supported.

Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The thread above contains half a dozen issues, some of which were resolved, others relating to OS problems that have been resolved.

Let's start from the top: what OS and version are you using, what kind of RasPi are you using, what have you done so far, and where do things stop behaving the way the tutorial leads you to expect?

sharangan

Post by sharangan »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:The thread above contains half a dozen issues, some of which were resolved, others relating to OS problems that have been resolved.

Let's start from the top: what OS and version are you using, what kind of RasPi are you using, what have you done so far, and where do things stop behaving the way the tutorial leads you to expect?
I am using a Model B and the Image that is attached on the installation tutorial.

Basically i'll burn the image then plug the SD card in mount the screen then power the Unit but I have a white screen I'll try and get a screenshot

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Double-check the connection between the ribbon cable and the socket on the PCB. It's easy to pull the cable slightly out of line while soldering the pin header, and just about impossible to see the difference.

yann

Post by yann »

Hello everybody,

I bought the pi TFT capacitive touch a few days ago.

I had exactly the same problem on raspbian with which I did a lot of things, tests, and so on...
I got a black screen and a pi failure :-(

Furthermore 99-fbturbo.conf didn't exist.....

So I reinstalled 2014-06-20-wheezy-raspbian.img and I did everything as written in the doc
The first tests went fine....

I think that the best thing to do is starting with a brand new distro installed ;-)

Good luck to everyone !!!

Yann

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”