IR LED's specification of Weatherproof TTL Serial JPEG Cam

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
aauffret

IR LED's specification of Weatherproof TTL Serial JPEG Cam

Post by aauffret »

I really like you Weatherproof TTL Serial JPEG Camera with IR LEDs : I used 2 of them with Arduino Mega + Adafruit Datalogging Shield + GPRS Shield for a GPRS woodchip level control system in a big fire heating plant. Almost ready to use, very good library, nice casing and just work fine in a totally dark environment !

For a new project, I would like to improve night vision specification of this Camera : more light + wider lighting angle.
I made tries with 2 different IR light spot I bought on the market, but they are not satisfactory : Expensive, Hight power consumsion and bad lighting !

That's why I plan to design my own lighing device, or maybe to adapt the one intregrated in the Weatherproof TTL Camera by switching the original led's with new ones.

I want to light 120°at 5m in a totally dark room.
Wich kind of IR LED's do you advise to use ? especially wich wavelenght and wich power ?

Thanks a lot !

adafruit_support_mike

Re: IR LED's specification of Weatherproof TTL Serial JPEG C

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Most IR LEDs work in the same frequency range, and they'll all work well enough to provide light for a camera.

The main issue will be the amount of power you want to run through them. Most LEDs only use about 20mA, but IR LEDs can handle a lot more. The ones we use in the TV-B-Gone kit can handle pulses up to 1A: http://www.adafruit.com/products/387

The amount of light you need depends on the place you want to light, so the best thing to do is hook a few up and see how it looks. Fortunately, it's easy to get a whole bunch of LEDs: http://www.adafruit.com/products/388

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”