Trouble getting started with Flora on Ubuntu 12.04

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fuzzy1000

Trouble getting started with Flora on Ubuntu 12.04

Post by fuzzy1000 »

Hi all, hope you can help me out. I'm getting started with the Flora for the first time and am having trouble.

I followed kkolbo's instructions http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=39012 here to install the Arduino IDE. The only change I made was to install the latest version, 1.0.5.

This seemed to work fine and I now have a nice shortcut to run the IDE from my desktop. However, I can't connect to my Flora via the serial port. I'm having the same problem that attlebish posted here http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... tu#p198789. In the Tools tab, my Serial Port is greyed out and I can't use it at all. I've tried the solutions posted in that forum, doing

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G dialout YOURUSERNAMEHERE
and restarting, but it didn't work. When I look at tty permissions I get an error message

ls -la /dev/ttyACM0
ls: cannot access /dev/ttyACM0: No such file or directory
I've also tried adding an extra file

SUBSYSTEMS==”usb”,ATTRS{idVendor}==”239a”,ATTRS{idProduct}==”0004″,MODE=”0660″,GROUP=”plugdev”,ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}=”1″
SUBSYSTEMS==”usb”,ATTRS{idVendor}==”239a”,ATTRS{idProduct}==”8004″,MODE=”0660″,GROUP=”plugdev”,ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}=”1″
to /etc/udev/rules in a new file called 90-flora.rules, and then putting into terminal

service udev restart
but get the error message

stop: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.83" (uid=1000 pid=3327 comm="stop udev ") interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Stop" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init")
start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.84" (uid=1000 pid=3324 comm="start udev ") interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init")
Any suggestions? attlebish, did you solve your original problem? How did you manage it?

Thanks for any help you can provide! - Fuzzy

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Trouble getting started with Flora on Ubuntu 12.04

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It sounds like you have a problem with hardware recognition. Let's see if the system will tell us anything interesting.

Enter the command:

tail -f /var/log/messages
then plug in the Flora. If we're lucky, the OS will emit messages during the hardware recognition process and we'll find something we can use.

The `tail` command prints the last few lines of a file, and the `-f` option means 'forever'. The program will watch the end of a file and print out any new data that gets appended. Very handy for watching logfiles. When you're done, use Ctrl-C to kill the program.

fuzzy1000

Post by fuzzy1000 »

Hm, maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't get any output at all from that command (regardless of whether I plug in the Flora or not)

fuzzy1000

Post by fuzzy1000 »

My problem may be solved! I tried adding an extra

SYMLINK+="ttyUSB0″
to my 90-flora.rules in etc/udev/rules
as suggested here http://matthewarcus.BANNED.com/2013/ ... ith-flora/

and then did

sudo service udev restart
The serial ports entry is no longer greyed out! And when I type

ls -l /dev/ttyACM*
I get

crw-rw---- 1 root plugdev 166, 0 Feb 17 17:15 /dev/ttyACM0
Will now attempt to do blink

fuzzy1000

Post by fuzzy1000 »

Yup, it's working now! :)

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Good to hear it's working for you, and thank you for posting the fix!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”