USB Host / wifi shield Requirement

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rtnewton707

USB Host / wifi shield Requirement

Post by rtnewton707 »

I am attempting to find the cheaper/most simplistic Arduino model that will support having a Host USB and wifi. I think I could get the Mega and use the CC3000 wifi shield, but I'm looking for less expensive combos. Any ideas?
Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: USB Host / wifi shield Requirement

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The Mega does not have a USB Host Controller.
You probably want to be looking at something like a Raspberry Pi.

rtnewton707

Post by rtnewton707 »

Is there any arduino that has a host USB? Doesn't the Due have USB Host? Just got the wifi? http://www.adafruit.com/products/1076

adafruit_support_rick

Don't think so. Are you confusing USB Host Controllers with USB Devices? The Leonardo/Micro/Yun all have native USB device support.

rtnewton707

Post by rtnewton707 »

Thanks for your replies. Maybe I should be more specific. I have a device that is typically connected to a computer via USB that reads corporate ID cards. It typically connects to the computer via USB, gets power from the laptop, and then the card reader mimics keyboard strokes when a card is scanned (very basic -the scanner is categorized as a keyboard vis USB - no native application running). I would like to work with this device via an arduino. My challenge is that it seems like most USBs on Arduinos are not assuming that it it providing power to the device that it is connecting to... (it is only designed for the device that is connecting to the USB to provide power to the Arduino (i.e. a laptop), not vice versa). So, from my minimal education on this, it seems like noting that a connection is a USB Host implies that it can provide power to the device. Is this correct? Are there any Arduinos where the USB port is actually set up to provide power TO the device it is connect to?
Much thanks,

adafruit_support_rick

USB is not symmetrical. Your card reader is a USB device, and the Arduino is also a USB device. Computers are USB hosts.
Hosts can talk to devices, but devices can;'t talk to other devices.

So, my first answer applies - you can't do this with an arduino. You'll need to use something that has a USB host controller like a Raspberry Pi or a BeagleBone.

rtnewton707

Post by rtnewton707 »

OK. Appreciate your persistence in clarifying thus. Much thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”