Shields overlaps on a common Pin

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
thiyagarajan_mb

Shields overlaps on a common Pin

Post by thiyagarajan_mb »

Currently , I am having a http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoGSMShieldArduino GSM shield, I have planned to purchase https://www.adafruit.com/products/1272GPS shield. Here, In the GPS module uses Pin 7 & 8 for Rx and Tx. But the GSM shield uses Pin 7 for Modem Reset. Now the Pin 7 overlaps.

Will it affect in anyway ? What consequences I need to face by mounting to a common pin? Is there any option for these types issue ? How it can be solved ?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Shields overlaps on a common Pin

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The GPS library uses pins 7 and 8 as a software serial connection, so you can reassign it to other pins if you need to.

The shield's connections to those pins are hardwired, but there are secondary TX/RX holes on the shield that you can use to reassign the signals. Just cut the traces to the TX/RX holes near the "Soft serial / direct" switch and connect jumpers to the holes for whatever pins you decide to use.

thiyagarajan_mb

Post by thiyagarajan_mb »

I have brought the Ultimate GPS Logger shield and mounted on Arduino UNO and Arduino GSM Shield as said on the above post. You said, We need cut the trace.

Pin 7 : GSM shield: as modem reset
Pin 7 : GPS shield: Rx

But it is still working with the same pin 7. will there be any problem with this or definitely I need to cut the trace ?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If the shields work the way you want them to without cutting the trance, go ahead and use them as they are.

If you have problems because of a pin conflict, you can cut the trace to pin 7 and move that signal to another pin.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”