ina219.begin hangup

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cwylie

ina219.begin hangup

Post by cwylie »

Hi there,
I've got this working great and I love it! However, for some reason, my script has started getting hung on the "ina219.begin" call for only one of my uno boards.

Is this due to maybe accidentally shorting something on this board? I've obviously unplugged everything and just tried the call on an empty arduino, and on one with only the ina219 attached to SCL, SDA, 5v and gnd. The ina219 works on other unos, just this one has stopped being able to handle the ina219.begin call.

Is my board shot? Can I save it somehow?

Thanks a bunch!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: ina219.begin hangup

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hanging up on begin with an i2c device is typically a symptom of a connection problem. It could be a bad pin (you can kill an Arduino pin by overloading it), but usually it is just a marginal connection. If you post photos showing your soldering and connections, we see if we can spot anything suspicious.

cwylie

Post by cwylie »

Here's my setup. Before you get too worried, the serial ports of the xbee aren't hooked up when I'm connected to USB ;)
INA.219 setup.jpg
INA.219 setup.jpg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Essentially I'm measuring the power use of the board and xbee by getting the 12V before it makes it to the arduino. It works great on the other setup, but this arduino hangs on INA.219.

Thanks for the help!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Breadboard connections can be dodgy at times. But if this is working reliably with other UNOs, the problem is likely with the UNO. A couple of possibilities:

1 - One or more contacts in the header is bad. These can get stretched out sometimes by plugging in fat wires or pins.
2 - One or more pins on the processor is damaged. You can try doing some reads and writes on those pins to see if they are behaving well. I2C uses the pins in several modes, depending on whether it is transmitting or receiving on the bus. So you need to test both read and write.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”