Arduino YUN and FingerPrint Scanner

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gregg douglas

Arduino YUN and FingerPrint Scanner

Post by gregg douglas »

Hi,

I am trying to enroll fingerprints (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-opt ... th-arduino) using the Arduino YUN (Do not have access to a Windows box, except via VirtualBox, the Fingerprint software fails to detect the fingerprint scanner). I have tried various pin combinations: 0,1 and 2,3 and 8,9. For each combination I have swopped the Green and White wire around, but I still can't seem to get it to work, the serial monitor keeps on displaying -
Did not find fingerprint sensor :(
Below is the example code I have tried to change:

Code: Select all

#if ARDUINO >= 100
SoftwareSerial mySerial(2, 3);
//SoftwareSerial mySerial(8, 9);
//SoftwareSerial mySerial(1, 2);
#else
NewSoftSerial mySerial(2, 3);
//NewSoftSerial mySerial(8, 9);
//NewSoftSerial mySerial(1, 2);
#endif
Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction ? I am not sure what else I can try(I do not have access to an Arduino UNO).

Thanks
Gregg

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Arduino YUN and FingerPrint Scanner

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Yun does not have direct access to the USB/Serial pins like the UNO, so you will not be able to connect it in pass-through mode for use with the Comm Tool.

Also, Software Serial is not supported on all pins as it is on the UNO. The Rx pin for software serial must be one of: 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, or 16.

See the documentation here (the Yun is based on the Leonardo processor, so Leonardo limitations apply): http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial

If you post photos of your connections to the device and the code you are using we'll see if we can spot any problems.

gregg douglas

Post by gregg douglas »

Thanks for the pointers moved the connections to pin 10 and 11. Was able to register finger prints.

#if ARDUINO >= 100
SoftwareSerial mySerial(10, 11); // RX, TX
#else
SoftwareSerial mySerial(10, 11); // RX, TX
#endif
I am battling to get the example script to read the fingerprints, however I still need to spend more time testing.

Thank-you very much for the help thus far!!!!

janislejins

Post by janislejins »

Hey Gregg,

I'm an artist working at the Australian National University, I am currently setting up my BANNED and the same finger print sensor.
Anytips you have would be great.
Elaborating on Yun/Leonardo limitations it may help to also amend the Adafruit examples in the setup to add

Serial.begin(9600);
while(!Serial){
restOfSetup;
}
I was just setting up the scanner then and I found it, obviously, ironed out many of the issues I had with most of the scripts.
I'm literally only setting everything up now and this thread was a great jumping off point. Feel free to post any more issues you run into here, I imagine it may pre-emptively help me avoid them ;)
Thanks tonnes,
Janis.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”