single neopixel, will you continue to supply 6 pin or eventu

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pts

single neopixel, will you continue to supply 6 pin or eventu

Post by pts »

hi there, im interested in making my own pcb of neopixels, however i see you mention that the single pixels are the old version (6 pin) vs the new version (4 pin)

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1379

im very interested in if you will continue to have the old version, or eventually only the new version once old supply runs out

this is because i ordered a bunch of new 8px sticks and did not know they have a new version of the light on them (images still all show 6 pin). my project uses a teensy 3.1 and the new LEDs are completely incompatible without a logic shifter that i have little to no space for. but, im still having good luck with the old version of the lights

it looks like the new version requires 5v logic, where the old ones were semi tolerant to the 3v logic of the teensy without a level shifter

or please correct me if im wrong :)

on a side note, is it possible to get the LEDS for this strip individually?
http://www.adafruit.com/products/306
i believe i read that they would support interrupt and is better for POV projects

adafruit_support_mike

Re: single neopixel, will you continue to supply 6 pin or ev

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I think we're migrating to the WS2812B (4-pin version) for the LED strips and NeoPixel devices we make ourselves. I'll have to check with the products team to see if there are any plans to stop carrying the loose WS2182S though.

The WS2812B does seem to be a bit more picky about the signals it accepts, but you can make an input buffer with a couple of transistors:
buffer.jpg
buffer.jpg (27.36 KiB) Viewed 595 times
WRT the other strips you mentioned, the LEDs on those won't do you much good.. they're standard RGB LEDs with no internal control. The brains are the chips between the LEDs, which happen to be LPD8806es.

briggsm

Post by briggsm »

Can you be more specific about what type of transistors can be used? Guessing there's many more than one that would work, but can you help me know what kind I'd need to buy? Thanks!

briggsm

Post by briggsm »

My question directly above about what types of transistors to use was answered here:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 74#p282398

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”