Wiring Adafruit Motor Shield v2

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MageBot

Wiring Adafruit Motor Shield v2

Post by MageBot »

I have attached an image showing the (basic) wiring diagram for the Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit. As you may notice I did not want to stack the shield on top of Arduino. Does the wiring as shown in the image sufficient to power 4 DC motors? Also I am not using VIN jumper. Thanks
Big Kid having fun….
Basic Wiring to Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit
Basic Wiring to Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit
BluBot_Breadboard small.jpg (446.31 KiB) Viewed 331 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Wiring Adafruit Motor Shield v2

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

A couple of points:
* Your servo will be getting power from the Arduino 5v supply which is derived from the rectangular 9v battery. If there will be a lot of servo movement, you will probably find the battery life to be short.

* Your DC motors are rated for 700mA load current at 6v. At 9v, they will draw closer to 1A each or 4A with all 4 running. That will drain AA alkaline cells in a hurry. I'd expect them to get quite warm as well. Your motors will run hot also and their lifetime will be shortened considerably.

I would suggest you find a 6v rechargeable NiMH pack to power both the motors and the servos. NiMH cells perform better into high current loads and have a flatter discharge curve compared to alkaline cells. These are available in various capacities. A 3000mAh pack should give you a good hour of runtime.

MageBot

Re: Wiring Adafruit Motor Shield v2

Post by MageBot »

Thanks for the reply. For the NiMH power supply, I was thinking of using the Energizer NH15-2300 AA size rated at 1.2v and 2300 mAh. Therefore 5 AA Energizers in a series ought to give 6v and 6 AA Energizers in a series ought to give 7.2v… I am thinking of the 7.2 should do the job. Since the servo is rated for 5 volts, I probably place a flat metal insert (wire connected) at the forth or fifth position of the battery series as a step down voltage for the servo motor. I like the ideas. Thanks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”