Usb host + bluetooth le

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vasja

Usb host + bluetooth le

Post by vasja »

Hi,

What arduino board or shield should I use to connect usb as host and simultaneously bluetooth to the board. Is this doable with uno at all?

I have a device (exercise machine) with usb (rs232) data output that I can connect to computer. I want to use Arduino as "bridge" to connect the device to iPhone/iPad with and app via Bluetooth. It simply has to connect both sides Nd transfer data from device to iOS app.

Would any other solution (raspberry pi?) work better than Arduino?

Thanks for help!

Best,Vasja

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Usb host + bluetooth le

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The only USB host solution for Arduino that I know of is the Yun. You have to go through the linux coprocessor for USB host functionality. I don't know what would be involved in connecting your exercise machine, or if it's even possible,

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I have a device (exercise machine) with usb (rs232) data output that I can connect to computer.
Are you sure you need USB Host or if the USB is just sending serial data to the computer? If it is just serial you can connect that to the UNO and read the data. When you connect to the computer how do you get the data and if you were to open a terminal screen do you see the data there?

vasja

Post by vasja »

This is how it's described in the doc:
"computer uses USB CDC interface to communicate with a PC or similar. A CDC is a virtual “com” port, that is once connected to a PC a new hardware “com” port will appear in the ports listing.
This new “com” port is auto baud rate up to 115,200 baud (recommended 19,200 for slow update applications) and may be on any “com” number; typically the designer has found this to be COM9, but any number could be used. The port has product identification strings as follows, “Microchip Technology Inc.” and “CDC RS-232: WR-S4.2” (S5.0 for S5).
"

I think host is needed for communication. There is a micro USB connector on the device.

What about this US shield: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9947 or http://www.dx.com/p/z1302-usb-host-shie ... 6_r2xZsApE or similar?

Thanks.

V.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I don't know anything about those. If they are host controllers, they could work.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Do you have any Arduinos at this time or are you looking to start from scratch? What does the bluetooth have to do with it? Can you explain what it is you hope to accomplish?

vasja

Post by vasja »

Hi,

no this will be first project.

I want to transmit data from the exercise device to iOS device - butI need something between USB and bluetooth - as a bridge or transmitter - Bluetooth LE would work best.

I plan to build custom iOS app for reception, storage and display o received data.

V.

incorrect

Post by incorrect »

Hi,

I'm working on something exactly like what you described. Is this for the WaterRower S4?

Right now I'm planning to setup logging of the data to SQLite on a RPi, but want to try my hand at capturing and transmit the data using an Arduino to my phone via BTLE.

vasja

Post by vasja »

Hi,

Yes I'm working on connecting WaterRower S4 monitor via BT to iPhone. Idea is to connect Arduino to USB and then send data via BT signal to iOS device... And I'll be building iOS app for storing and monitoring exercises...

I'm currently not really started off yet beyond exploring ... but I plan to move forward soon...

Maybe we could join forces and exchange all info.

incorrect

Post by incorrect »

Do you have the USB protocol specs? I've only just figured out how to get data out of the thing and am in the process of prodding it to ensure the documentation is accurate. My coding skills are very rudimentary, so it's taking a while to figure out exactly how to do what I want.

When I have something worthy of a v0.1 I figure I'll create a github project for it.

TyphoidTim

Post by TyphoidTim »

I ended up here via a search and it's piqued my curiosity, is this still in development?

incorrect

Post by incorrect »

I do actually have an update, but am snowed under at work right now. I'll try to set something up soon.

hschaaps

Post by hschaaps »

Also curious about the progress as we're getting our watterrower soon. Lack of propper software is a big disappointment :(

wiggers42

Post by wiggers42 »

I'm interested in this also. Have you tried this?

https://github.com/jamesnesfield/node-waterrower

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”