Thanks... but

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
TheGiwiNinja

Thanks... but

Post by TheGiwiNinja »

I posted this earlier and got a great reply

"HI. Im an amateur arduino user who needs some help. Collin cunningham has a Collins lab episode where he uses the RFID shield from adafruit in conjunction with an LCD shield to display the RFID tag data. Ive looked everywhere and ive also asked around at the "Ask an engineer" on wednesday nights and i cant find anything that shows how to make those two shields work together like collins did. I want to create a setup that will allow me to scan and show RFID data tags using the lcd shield and RFID shield, without using my computer, just with a 9v power brick that plugs into the arduino.

Thanks"

Then you guys replied:

"The LCD shield uses address 0x20 and the RFID shield uses address 0x48 so they will both connect to the i2c pins (A4, A5) on the Arduino and you write code for them just like the other one was not there."

I got a great reply, but i as mentioned earlier im a beginner and i dont know what 0x20 and 0x40 mean, and i dont know how to write my own code to make these two shield work together. I want to display what the RFID shield is picking up on the lcd.

And while im at it, is there anywhere i can go to actually learn how to write my own sketches?

Thanks so much.-George

Franklin97355

Re: Thanks... but

Post by Franklin97355 »

Here are the tutorials for the LCD shield https://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-lcd-shield
and the RFID shield https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pn532-rfid-nfc work through these and you should be on your way to doing what you want. If after running some of the examples you have questions please post more.

beeg

Post by beeg »

Do you know if any of the I2C shield tutorial downloads (libraries) contain example code of two I2C devices being used at the same time. All the ones I have checked only show the same single shield connected, so not much help for attaching multiple devices or showing code necessary to start/stop the different shield communication to eliminate conflict between the different device shields. Hope this is clear.
thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

In general there is not much special that you need to do. The libraries are all self-contained, and all the commands release the bus when they are completed. The only thing you need to be concerned with is to make sure that all the devices on the i2c bus have different addresses.

beeg

Post by beeg »

Will the device addresses need to be declared in the initial code?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Adafruit libraries for i2c devices have a fixed or default address built into the code. On devices which have configurable addresses, you will need to specify the address used - only if you change it from the default.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”