Programming RFDuino with Bluefruit EZ-Link

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wespwilson

Programming RFDuino with Bluefruit EZ-Link

Post by wespwilson »

Is it possible to program an RFDuino with Bluefruit EZ-Link? I'm able to send serial output from the RFDuino over bluetooth through Bluefruit and it is showing up in serial monitor. When I try programming over it I get this -

Sketch uses 2,096 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 131,072 bytes.
/Applications/Arduino1.5.5.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/RFduino/RFDLoader -q /dev/tty.AdafruitEZ-Link1473-SPP /var/folders/pn/r6qvyv3n7s3cg12x9bqlq__m0000gn/T/build5237332706544996316.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex
expecting 52, got 10
fail.......fail.......fail.......

Any thoughts? Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Programming RFDuino with Bluefruit EZ-Link

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I know nothing about the RFduino's programming interface. If it accepts input through a UART connection like a regular Arduino you should be able to use the same hardware connections as are shown in the EZ-Link tutorial:

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rogramming

Other than that, check with the maker to see if the have any suggestions.

billn

Post by billn »

I have programmed an RFDuino using an EZ-Link a while back. Just make sure that you use a cap on the reset line.
I have also programmed the RFDuino using a regular (3.3v) FTDI board, again making sure to use the cap on the reset line.

wespwilson

Post by wespwilson »

Sorry for the super slow response. I just ran into a project where it would be helpful to program RFduino from Bluefruit EZ-link again. I downloaded a fresh copy of Arduino 1.5.8 and did "git clone https://github.com/RFduino/RFduino" to get the latest. I'm still running into the same problem with the same error message "expecting 52, got 10".

Using the new copy of Arduino 1.5.8 I can program my RFduino successfully using the usb shield. I can also program an arduino uno over bluefruit ez-link without a problem. Here is how I have RFduino connected to bluefruit -

GPIO 0 ------------- TX
GPIO 1 ------------- RX
RESET - 1uF cap + DTR
+3V ------------- VIN
GND ------------- GND

I also tried swapping GPIO 0 and 1 just to be safe.
billn wrote:I have programmed an RFDuino using an EZ-Link a while back. Just make sure that you use a cap on the reset line.
Got the cap on reset with no luck.
billn wrote: I have also programmed the RFDuino using a regular (3.3v) FTDI board, again making sure to use the cap on the reset line.
I'm able to do this fine with the same setup and this has me pulling my hair out.

I've also posted to the RFduino forum for help. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

adafruit_support_mike

The 1.5 branch of the Arduino IDE is experimental and has several known quirks. It's better to us the latest stable version (currently 1.0.6) unless you absolutely have to use 1.5.

wespwilson

Post by wespwilson »

billn wrote:I have programmed an RFDuino using an EZ-Link a while back. Just make sure that you use a cap on the reset line.
I have also programmed the RFDuino using a regular (3.3v) FTDI board, again making sure to use the cap on the reset line.
billn, do you have any ideas what could be wrong since you've had success programming an RFDuino with an EZ-Link? Have you tried doing it lately? Do you know what version of the Arduino IDE you were running?
adafruit_support_mike wrote:The 1.5 branch of the Arduino IDE is experimental and has several known quirks. It's better to us the latest stable version (currently 1.0.6) unless you absolutely have to use 1.5.
I'm working on this but haven't had any luck getting RFDuino itself working with 1.0.6 yet.

Someone on the RFDuino forum suggested using a second EZ-Link connected to the host computer to program the RFDuino instead of using the host computer's built in bluetooth. Is this possible? Can you use one EZ-Link attached to a host computer to connect to a second EZ-Link to program a device attached to the second EZ-Link?

Thanks for the help. I really hope I can get this working!

adafruit_support_mike

wespwilson wrote:Someone on the RFDuino forum suggested using a second EZ-Link connected to the host computer to program the RFDuino instead of using the host computer's built in bluetooth. Is this possible? Can you use one EZ-Link attached to a host computer to connect to a second EZ-Link to program a device attached to the second EZ-Link?
That won't work.

Bluetooth defines 'central' and 'peripheral' device categories. Central devices initiate and control connetions, peripheral devices only do what a central device tells them to do. A single smart (complex, expensive) central device can manage connections with lots of simple (cheap, low power) peripherals.

The EZ-Link is a peripheral. It can't initiate or control a connection to another device.

Post a photo of how you have things connected and we'll see if we can find any clues there.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”