Guggenhat on Arduino Uno

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Ron_J

Guggenhat on Arduino Uno

Post by Ron_J »

Hi there,
I'm wondering whether the guggenhat project works with an Arduino Uno as well.

I tried to use an Uno, but with no success.

The BTLE "echoDemo" example from the Adafruit nRF8001-library is running without problems.
If I comment out all Neopixel-stuff within the guggenhat-code, the bluetooth connection works fine.
If I comment out all BTLE stuff, neopixel is working (with a static message) as well.
Both together does not work. In this case the Bluefruit LE Connect app does not get a connect.

Has the guggenhat code been tested successfully with an Arduino Uno?
Sven

Franklin97355

Re: Guggenhat on Arduino Uno

Post by Franklin97355 »

According to this
We’ll make our hat using a headerless Arduino Micro. It’s simplest if you follow suit — we know the board works for this project — but if you know your way around different Arduino hardware, most mainstream ATmega-based boards will do.
Cutting-edge boards like the Arduino Due, Netduino or Teensy 3 are unlikely to work here — they’re based on different processors and only “mostly” compatible. Trinket and Gemma lack enough RAM, and an Arduino Mega is just overkill.

A small board (like the Arduino Micro we’ll be using) can be hidden discreetly inside the hat, providing a little protection from the elements.
it should work. you may have to maks some changes to the code but it should not be too hard. Perhaps someone has done it and will respond.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

The Arduino Micro (and Leonardo it's based on) have slightly more RAM than an Uno...quite possible with that many LEDs that the BTLE lib doesn't fit. Are you using 4m as in the guide, or a longer strip?

I'll double-check all this on an Uno in the a.m. That one sentence (about most 328 boards working) was admittedly speculation, I'd forgotten about the extra 512 bytes on the Micro and didn't expect we'd push anywhere near it. In the meantime, try paring back the strip length by 100 pixels or so (just in the code, not physically!) and see if it partially works.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Sorry, haven't had time to test this yet (a new revision of a certain popular board came out and required some emergency changes to cases and tutorials and such). I've got the Uno, BTLE board and NeoPixels on my desk now, it's the first thing I'll be poking at tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Okay, I've tested this on an Uno and can confirm it does not fit; the Bluetooth LE UART library is more demanding than I thought, and the extra 512 bytes on the Leonardo/Micro turns out to be crucial for controlling both Bluetooth and the big NeoPixel array.

If you bought an Uno specifically for this project, we can set up an exchange for a more suitable board.

If your hat's small enough (like 30 pixels circumference), then it could be persuaded to work on an Uno.

I'm editing the guide to be more specific about the board selection; it seemed logical that an Uno should work but this was incorrect.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”