CC3000 + Xively : How to Read a Value

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
PierlugiRovere

CC3000 + Xively : How to Read a Value

Post by PierlugiRovere »

Hi all,
i found a tons of solutions for Sending data to Xively, but now i would like to receive data!
What i want to do? It's very simple (i hope): Open my home gate from Xively!

I'm using Arduino uno with CC3000 Breakout board: anyone else have tried to read data from Xively? i didn't find nothing about this!
Thanks to everyone who want to help me :)

EDIT: i found something on the Xively Site (but i still have some doubts).
i write my request like this in Safari Browser and the result is a page with all the informations of this feed (this is just an example: i get the current value of the kitchenTemperature).
But Now what i have to do for put this result in a String?

adafruit2

Re: CC3000 + Xively : How to Read a Value

Post by adafruit2 »

If it requires SSL you cannot do it - the CC3000 does not have SSL support and Arduino can't do it. Beyond that you may want to ask Xively, as we've never done it

PierlugiRovere

Post by PierlugiRovere »

Where can i find that Xively requires SSL?

If you try that link, it works like this.

The first one is an "http" request and the second is an "https", but the content is equal.

This page contains all the information that i need:
{"id":1257980085,"title":"Arduino","private":"true","feed":"https://api.xively.com/v2/feeds/1257980 ... atastreams":[{"id":"Gate-Command","current_value":"4","at":"2014-07-15T12:46:23.423740Z","max_value":"4.0","min_value":"0.0","tags":["Manage Gate"]}],"location":{"name":"FloRoBa House","domain":"physical","lat":44.3294,"lon":7.55762000000004},"product_id":"kJIV5AF2LbhYuBAYgfyY","device_serial":"ZGPRHTH6J2F4"}
I just want to copy the bolded text, using the cc30000Client object.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If the request with HTTP:// works then you would send that and receive the json code returned. You willl then need to parse out the pertinent data.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

You're going to want to familiarize yourself with Xively's API documentation and write the code to talk to their read API. I took a quick look to see if there are any tutorials for reading with their APIs but unfortunately couldn't find anything. My suggestion would be to see if they have forums or support that might be able to point you to some sample code for reading data.

Looking at their APIs it looks like SSL is not required so it should be possible to read data, however realize it's not secure and mentioned as not recommended by Xively. From their docs it looks like authentication with xively is through a sending a secret API key value, so if you aren't using SSL (like with the cc3000) this key could be exposed to someone sniffing the traffic. Definitely don't run this on a public/unencrypted wifi network.

As far as parsing the data returned and getting the bolded data, it's not fun on an Arduino because there isn't enough memory to load the entire response and search it for the desired output. You'll want to familiarize yourself with C's string functions like searching a string for a substring. Read in chunks of the response and look for a specific identifier like "Gate-Command", then take that as a sign to start grabbing characters until you find a sentinel value after the data you desire, like "max_value". If you haven't done a lot of string processing like this I would start in a higher level language or on your PC so you can iterate more easily until you get something working, then port it to the Arduino. Good luck!

PierlugiRovere

Post by PierlugiRovere »

Thanks for your attention!
tdicola wrote: so if you aren't using SSL (like with the cc3000) this key could be exposed to someone sniffing the traffic. Definitely don't run this on a public/unencrypted wifi network.
Yes, i know: i'm using it just in my home protected wifi. So i hope that is enough secure.

I'll try to make something on c# language, following your tips.
Thanks a lot!

ps: if it works, i'll post it here :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”