Easing into rotary encoders

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
marke3

Easing into rotary encoders

Post by marke3 »

I am trying to implement a rotary encoder (adafru.it/377) as a vehicle to learn about some trickier stuff. I am easing my way into it so have read a lot of forum discussions. My first step is simply to wire each pin to an LED to see the changes in state as I turned the knob. It mostly works as expected but not quite... I put red on A and blue on B and expected red/off - red/blue - off/blue - and back to off/off in the next detent. However, I don't get the state with both colours. Otherwise I get the other three as expected in both directions. One other thing is that turning clockwise, the knob seems to rest in the detent switching red (A) on. A little nudge backwards switches it off but it makes me wonder whether I'm missing something or if maybe the internals of the encoder are a little misaligned...?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Easing into rotary encoders

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Could be a bad encoder. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement encoder.

marke3

Post by marke3 »

Thanks a lot. Gives me the confidence to question my golf clubs again where everyone said I was the problem...

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

There's yer problem! By all means, buy more-expensive clubs!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”