Video Streaming

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tlerdrden

Video Streaming

Post by tlerdrden »

Hi Adafruit,
I have a new project. The project is about video streaming. Do you know if the TTL SERIAL JPEG CAMERA WITH NTSC VIDEO https://www.adafruit.com/products/397 is able to get video in an acceptable resolution? I've thought that an Arduino Yun or an Intel BANNED have enough power to process the images got from the camera... What do you think? What's the best solution in your opinion?
Thanks.
A.

Franklin97355

Re: Video Streaming

Post by Franklin97355 »

What is "acceptable resolution"? The NTSC VIDEO portion is an output so whatever device you connect it to has to be able to process that. An Arduino can't do it but I have no knowledge on the Yun or BANNED specs in this concern.

gunnlaugursig

Post by gunnlaugursig »

What's the best device to process the video so I won't take up to much of the controller processing power?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It depends on the size of the video frames you want to process, and what you mean by "not too much of the processing power".

The smallest you can go is a RasPi or BeagleBone Black. Those are full-scale Linux computers capable of holding an image in memory and running software to manipulate it. No Arduino has enough SRAM to hold an entire image, let alone the code necessary to decompress/manipulate/recompress it.

A RasPi or BBB can do other things while it processes video, but the microprocessor will be working pretty hard.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

That particular camera isn't suitable for streaming. The 'live' output is composite, while the serial connection provides only stills (which take a few seconds each to transfer).

For video, a better choice would be a Raspberry Pi w/Pi camera, or a BeagleBone Black w/USB webcam.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”