Motor Shield v2 Not Responding

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bschreiber

Motor Shield v2 Not Responding

Post by bschreiber »

I recently purchased the Adafruit Motor shield v2 for a project of mine. Unfortunately, I can't get it to do anything. I am using a 12v wall wart with the barrel jack on the arduino to power it. The power LED does come on. I uploaded the sample code DCMotorTest. The IDE gave no connection errors. I made sure to use the v2 library. I checked several different motor connections and made sure to change the code too. Nothing is happening on the board. The motor does not move at all.

I tried to test the code to see if that was the problem. I inserted a few additional Serial.println() statements so I could see where the code was hanging. Strangely, the default line "Adafruit Motorshield v2 - DC Motor test!" printed fine, but any lines after it were truncated or entirely omitted. I found that the issue was proximity to the AFMS.begin line. The Serial.println() right before it would always be truncated, and the ones after would never get printed. If I put a delay right before the AFMS.begin, then any Serial.println() statements before the delay would print fine. I have attached my edited code. Does AFMS.begin affect the serial port? Could this be a symptom of some problem with the board or my installation? Thanks for your help.
Attachments
DCMotorTest.txt
(1.84 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motor Shield v2 Not Responding

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Sounds like the sketch is hanging up when it tries to communicate with the shield. Please post some clear photos of the front and back of the board & we'll see if we can spot any problems.

bschreiber

Post by bschreiber »

The soldering is pretty rough. A coworker did it. I thought it would be passable, but maybe not.

Sorry for the image quality; it said I exceeded the max attachment size.
Attachments
Soldering pic.jpg
Soldering pic.jpg (856.78 KiB) Viewed 247 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are a few suspicious looking joints there. This guide has some tips on identifying and repairing soldering problems. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... n-problems

bschreiber

Post by bschreiber »

You're right, it was the soldering. I redid the joints and it works now. Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”