Fona and personal t-mobile Cloning

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cdtelting

Fona and personal t-mobile Cloning

Post by cdtelting »

I'm more of a anti-smartphone person. I'd rather have a basic phone and use a larger tablet and or computer in addition to it. Problem for me is texting. People want to SMS the one phone number you give them and don't want to deal with multiple phone numbers and I can certainly understand that. But since I use a basic cell phone it's not like I can program an app to forward the messages back and forth. (It's MIGHT be possible with java and a proprietary SDK but that's one heck of a mountain to climb.)

I remembered the FONA product release today the possibility occurred to me that I might possibly be able to clone a t-mobile account and use it on a FONA connected to my computer. I'm not really looking to swap SIM cards multiple times a day. I could then use the computer to SMS directly or setup a gateway program to my tablet and other devices.

I don't need instructions on cloning and I know better than to ask. My question is has anyone done anything like this? Say between a cell phone and tablet? Does that carrier detect this and freeze your account? I'm not looking to get anything for free or cheat the cell phone company; just to use my account in a way that works for me. I'm prepaid anyway so I'm thinking they just deduct the minutes.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Fona and personal t-mobile Cloning

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I don't know of anyone else who's done that, and don't have any idea how a carrier would react to such a thing. I also don't know the technical issues of having two devices catching and responding to SMS notifications at the same time.

My suggestion would be to check your carrier's options and see if they'll forward SMS messages to another number. If so, that would probably present fewer technical headaches.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”