FONA headset question

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
billf

FONA headset question

Post by billf »

I have a FONA ( PRODUCT ID: 1946 ) and I am just starting to test it ( I don't have my SIM card yet ). I am running the FONAtest sketch. Most of the first (non-cellular) commands work fine (indicating that Arduino Uno and the FONA are wired up correctly), but when I play tones ( command T ), I only hear the tone in one side of the headset ( I can hear the tone in the side without the microphone). Volume is set to 100%. I have the same problem when I listen to FM radio using the FONA and headset.

When I pull the headset out gradually, I can hear audio in both ears, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the headphones. The problem is repeatable - when I push the headset plug all the way in again, I lose the audio on the side of the headsets with the mic.

Here's my thought: I'm guessing that the solder joint on the headset receiver closest to the SIM800L module (when viewed from the top of the card) is not making a connection.

Should I attempt to re-solder this connection OR do you want me to send the FONA back so you can do failure analysis on it?

Thanks,

Bill

billf

Re: FONA headset question

Post by billf »

Additional information: Both sides of the headphone work when I press down on the headset receiver box that is soldered to the FONA board, supporting my theory that the solder joint is defective.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post clear pictures of your board?

billf

Post by billf »

Here are some pictures - I hope they are clear enough.
Attachments
FONA p3 with arrow.jpg
FONA p3 with arrow.jpg (379.88 KiB) Viewed 287 times
Last edited by billf on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billf

Post by billf »

So, my question is:

Should I attempt to re-solder this connection OR do you want me to send the FONA back so you can do failure analysis on it?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you feel your skills are up to it I don't see why you shouldn't give it a try. Just make sure you get in and out without touching anything else in the process.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”