Question about Arduino Micro and LCD Shield

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lucgallant

Question about Arduino Micro and LCD Shield

Post by lucgallant »

Hi there,

In reading about the Arduino Micro and looking at the pictures it's fairly obvious that you can't stack a shield on top of it.

My question is though, with the LCD shield, where only a few wires get used, is it possible to put the LCD Shield in a remote location and just wire out the required pins? I presume two power pins, and then two I2C pins?

Otherwise, I think I'd use the backpack, but I'd really prefer to have all those buttons as well.

I want to use the Micro so I can squeeze it down into a package.

I'm wanting to use the Micro with the LCD Shield, and also the L293D chip to control a stepper. Thanks in advance.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Question about Arduino Micro and LCD Shield

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

s it possible to put the LCD Shield in a remote location and just wire out the required pins? I presume two power pins, and then two I2C pins?
Yes it is definitely possible. One possible hitch that has tripped up a couple of folks already: One of the 3 GND pins on the shield is not actually connected to the ground plane. When used as a shield, it is a non-issue. But used stand-alone you have a 33 1/3% chance of picking the wrong one. See the warning about 2/3 down on this page: https://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-lcd-shie ... lcd-shield

lucgallant

Re: Question about Arduino Micro and LCD Shield

Post by lucgallant »

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm going to debate between which permutation of hardware I want to go with likely for the next several hours... I'll report back once my product is completed. Thanks!

Luc

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”