Ultimate GPS Does not FIX

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
daverizk

Ultimate GPS Does not FIX

Post by daverizk »

Hi, I purchased the Ultimate GPS and the recommended GPS Antenna and adapter cable a few weeks ago. I finally got to set it up, and I am having the following problem. The unit only got a fix 4 times. The times for lock were 12 min, 4 min, 2 min, and 28sec. My current try has been over an hour with no progress. I have tried to get a fix over a dozen times. I have a clear view to the sky, so that's not a problem. I would like to get a replacement for the unit. How do I go about doing that ? Do I need an RMA #? Thank you,
Last edited by daverizk on Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Franklin97355

Re: Ultimate GPS Does not FIX

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post clear pictures of both sides of your board showing any soldering you have done and the connections to it?

daverizk

Post by daverizk »

Hi, I'm trying to add the files to the forum but the "ADD The File" is grayed out. The solder joints were good. I re-soldered them just to make sure. I tried three more times, but I was unable to get a fix. I tried it with the antenna, and without the antenna. The Wiring is a follows:

Vin to 5 Volts of Arduine Mega 2560
GND to ground,
Tx to TX0 pin 0 of Arduino,
RX to RX0 pin 1 of Arduino,
EN to 10K pull up resistor to 5 Volts.

When using the "blank" sketch I received a lot of data with many commas. The few times that it did lock, I ran the "parsing" sketch. The display read as follows:

Time 0:0:0.0;
Date:0/0/200;
Fix: 0; quality: 0.

Do you have any suggestions? Thank you for your help.
Dave

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Tx to TX0 pin 0 of Arduino,
RX to RX0 pin 1 of Arduino,
It should be Tx to RX0 and Rx to TX0 for the parsing sketch. Make sure you have the baud rate set the same for the program and the serial monitor.

daverizk

Post by daverizk »

I went by their wiring directions. I tried it reversed and got a "timeout error, no communications"+.
Last edited by daverizk on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daverizk

Post by daverizk »

How do I go about getting a replacement unit from Adafruit?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post clear pictures of both sides of your board showing any soldering you have done and the connections to it?
You need to choose the file first before you can add it. Also make sure the files are 800x600 or less than 1meg in size.

daverizk

Post by daverizk »

This thing does not allow me to browse for a file. I press browse and it does nothing.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

You can post on a photo sharing site like photobucket.com and post the link here then. What OS are you using? When I click "Choose File" it opens a window to the file manager and I can browse from there.

Barry914

Post by Barry914 »

I would strongly recommend you use a backup battery with your GPS module. It can take a really long time to get a fix after a cold start, but with the backup battery it typically takes a few seconds. I can often get a fix fairly quickly even indoors. I use the same battery that powers my project to supply the backup pin, wired around the on-off switch. That works for me because I have a built-in charger and I don't have to remove the battery to charge it. Otherwise, a coin cell would be the way to go.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”