3.5 TFT Touchscreen with Breakout Board 8-bit

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
levyfel

3.5 TFT Touchscreen with Breakout Board 8-bit

Post by levyfel »

Hello, I have been trying to get the 3.5 inch TFT Touchscreen with breakout board working on Arduino using the 8-bit connections and its respective library. I have both tried this on an Uno and Mega2560. First issue is that in any of the examples except for the graphics test, there is the if statements after reading the ID that tests to see if any of them match, which does not work. I get the ID of 0x8357 which is not in any of those if statements. Commenting that out it works. the real issue is that the text seems to print backwards and my X and Y coords are reversed. I do not mean flip flopped, reversed in the way you look at a mirror. When I try the graphics test with just the printing of text, and no rotation everything is fine, it prints left to right. But when I have it rotate using setRotation that is when the text will display right to left, like looking at it in a mirror. I did not have this issue with SPI but I need the 8-bit for the speed. It seems to me that the setRotation screws with how the screen is laid out and I have not been able to find a fix for it at all. Also the color does not match after a rotation i.e. red is blue, cyan is green, and yellow is cyan. Any ideas??
2014-09-10 18.13.18.jpg
2014-09-10 18.13.18.jpg (547.62 KiB) Viewed 2074 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 3.5 TFT Touchscreen with Breakout Board 8-bit

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

levyfel wrote: I get the ID of 0x8357 which is not in any of those if statements.
Please download and install the latest version of the Adafruit_TFTLCD library
https://github.com/adafruit/TFTLCD-Library

levyfel

Post by levyfel »

Thats the library that I have. The graphics test is the only one that has the right id in those if statements. But as soon as setRotation is used the output looks like in the image in my previous post. I followed the guide and tried messing with the mapping or setCursor and still no luck.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

oh blah, its something with the identifier if/else statment. i thought we pushed the fix for it, i'll add an issue to the github repo. It's def a code thing not a hardware thing. If you can use SPI mode until we fix it, we know for sure its not in the SPI library.

levyfel

Post by levyfel »

Awesome that would be great if the 8-bit library could be working like normal. I tried fixing it myself with no luck/fear from jumping in the hole too deep to where I could not understand what I was doing anymore. And yes, you are correct in that the SPI works wonderfully. Thank you!

trialanderror

Post by trialanderror »

I just ran into the same problem, thought I'd add additional information. It seems like the values for red and blue are being interchanged. I use the current library files from Github, just reimported it to make shure I have the newest version.

The first image shows it is working fine as long as setRotation is not being used, the second one shows how text looks after being rotated.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yes, thanks for the reminder! we have an issue open to try and fix it, its in the MADCTL setRotation() function
https://github.com/adafruit/TFTLCD-Library/issues/14

msto

Post by msto »

The same problem here. Any news on this issue? I bought the display 3 days ago and loaded the latest library from github. Until now the display is useless for me.

adafruit_support_rick

msto wrote:The same problem here. Any news on this issue? I bought the display 3 days ago and loaded the latest library from github.
I've not heard anything yet. Meanwhile, can you use it in SPI mode? Rotation works with SPI.

msto

Post by msto »

Thanks for the answer.

adafruit_support_rick

OK - I fixed the library. Download a fresh copy and give it a try!

trialanderror

Post by trialanderror »

Thanks! Works fine now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”