MENTA: Mysteries and Madness

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
flounder

MENTA: Mysteries and Madness

Post by flounder »

I got my MENTA kit assembled today. Did all the appropriate checks; all lights lit as expected. OK so far.

Now I go to download the blink sketch. I get the following error:

Code: Select all

avrdude: stk500_paged_load(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync
processing.app.debug.RunnerException
	at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:125)
	at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1719)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1625)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1597)
	at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2397)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:695)
Caused by: processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
	at cc.arduino.packages.Uploader.executeUploadCommand(Uploader.java:111)
	at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:123)
	... 5 more
Here's the configuration:
MAC OS X 10.9.3
Arduino IDE 1.5.6-r2
FTDI Friend
Downloaded FTDI drivers for 64-bit Mac OS X
Installed the FTDI_UsbSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6_10_7

All the lights light as expected. Power is from an external (2.1mm connector) 5V source. Power light is green. When I hit reset, red light blinks as expected. When I request a download, the red light blinks, as do the red and green LEDs on the FTDI Friend (and yes, it is plugged in green-to-green/black-to-black). Then I get the message. But sometimes the MENTA goes comatose (no blinking red light), and occasionally the sketch will load and run, but I still get the message shown above. Reset, if the MENTA goes comatose, does not cause either the new or the previous program to run. The red light blinks, but nothing happens.

And yes, I did read the upload troubleshooter article cited in the error message, but it did not suggest anything that seemed to apply. The fact that *some* uploads work is not a failure mode it seems to cover.

If I unplug the USB cable, the port (as expected) goes away. When I plug the cable back in, the port returns. I have selected
Board: Aduino Due**** or Die**** (short-term memory is inadequate to let me remember the spellings)
Processor: AtMega 328
Port: /dev/tty.usbserial-A5027Z1Z

Note that I *always* get the error message, but sometimes the sketch uploads and sometimes it doesn't. And there seems to be no consistent way to reproduce this. If I try to download the identical sketch again, sometimes it succeeds, sometimes it fails. Because I could not tell a "succeed" from a "fail, but left old program intact", I usually don't try to download the identical bits; I change the timing in blink.cpp so I will see either short blinks or long blinks, but even if I try to download the same bits, I see enough of the "comatose" events that I believe I can safely dismiss any example of operating code as NOT being from a "fail, but runs last sketch" case. So my two cases are: (1) download "fails" but in fact the IDE is lying to me; it has worked, because I see the red light blinking, and (2) download "fails" because it has really failed, and the machine is left comatose.

Any ideas why it is failing so mysteriously? (The "madness" part is on my side of the cable. When are those Trinket Pros going to be back in stock?)
joe

flounder

Re: MENTA: Mysteries and Madness

Post by flounder »

So my next step was to try the Adafruit EZ-Link programmer. Works perfectly, rock-solid reliable!

Well, except for one little detail...turns out that you can't use the "power select" jumper, because the FTDI pins are no longer a power source, but a power sink! I ran a wire between all three. Took about ten seconds of head scratching to figure this one out.

When my package of the (now in stock) female headers arrives, I'll make a shorts-out-all-three plug.

Now I have to unsolder the header, buy a 90-degree male header, and make space under the Menta board to hold the (optional) EZ-link. This will allow to achieve my intended goal, a completely wire-free unit (I have a Qi charger, and bought a Qi receiver, LiPo battery, and the only reason to ever open the case will be to plug in the EZ-link if i have to reprogram).

It would still be nice to know why FTDI Friend and hardwired failed so often.
joe

elsklin

Post by elsklin »

Hello.. I have the same Problem with an Arduino Due 328. I also did the same steps as you did:

Here's the configuration:
MAC OS X 10.9.4
Arduino IDE 1.5.6-r2 (aand tried it also on 1.0.5)
FTDI Friend
Downloaded FTDI drivers for 64-bit Mac OS X
Installed the FTDI_UsbSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6_10_7

Power is from an external (2.1mm connector) 12V source. LED ON is green and LED L is orange. When I hit reset, nothing blinks. While downloading, the RX LED next (right) to the usb plug blinks 3 times quickly.
Both versions of Arduino software gives the same error:

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/ce-labor/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/tty.usbmodem1411
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
expect with 1.5.6-r2 there is also this Java issue:

processing.app.debug.RunnerException
	at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:125)
	at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1719)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1625)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1597)
	at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2397)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:695)
Caused by: processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
	at cc.arduino.packages.Uploader.executeUploadCommand(Uploader.java:111)
	at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:123)
	... 5 more
I checked all these other guesses and solutions for similar cases in the forums, all these press-reset-button etc, nothing worked. I don't have an other PC available, so I need to get that problem solved.

(I have chosen the right board and programer, there is no other stuff plugged or soldered to the DUE board. It also doesn't make any different if the power is from extern or through usb)

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

@elsklin - Please post clear photos of the front and back of the board and we'll check the assembly.

Also -, stick with the 1.0.5. version of the IDE for programming the Menta. 1.5.x is still very much beta software. Unless you are programming a Due or a Yun, it offers much risk and no benefits.

elsklin

Post by elsklin »

thx for fast replay!

I am using DUE 328. Somebody else did use it before and it worked well, so there is not a problem about the assembly.

For now, your hint about the software was good, I realised I am not using the newest version of the IDE (1.5.6) so I updated to 1.5.7 and now it works. I also found out that the DUE is working different in many other ways, so I ll go on in the DUE topic.

Thanks again for your immediate response!!

adafruit_support_bill

I am using DUE 328.
No. You are using a Menta which is equivalent to a Duemilanove 328.

A Duemilanove 328 is not the same thing as a Due.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardDuemilanove
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardDue

elsklin

Post by elsklin »

..I swear I use the real DUE (3x8).... I did wrong when I first thought it is maybe similar to the Duemillanove 328. Thats why it toke me so long to find the right way......!

Because Due is not working with avr, I understand now all the other issues I had with my Due.. ;)

adafruit_support_bill

This is a thread about the Menta. If you are posting about a completely different processor, please start a new thread.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”