Sound controlled animation using VS1053 breakout?

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
flashbastard

Sound controlled animation using VS1053 breakout?

Post by flashbastard »

I'm looking to use the VS1053 MP3 breakout accessory to provide sound to a small project that includes servos, which are controlled by the 16 channel pwm/servo driver breakout.

The goal is for the servo to activate, and move to a set position based on the sound being played, then return to the home position when there is no sound, to create the illusion of lip synching.

I've looked over the animated pumpkin project, with the LEDs that activate based on an attachment to a specific resistor. Additionally, I have read about other projects that accomplish the same task, through similar methods, using a servo in the same way I am seeking to.

The problem I am having is that all of these projects seem to use the shield version of this breakout, and I can't for the life of me figure out if there is an equivalent resistor to connect to, let alone being able to identify it.

Admittedly, I am about as new to Arduino as one can be, my only experience with the platform is going through a starter kit book, and completing the simple projects within.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Sound controlled animation using VS1053 breakout?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I've looked over the animated pumpkin project, with the LEDs that activate based on an attachment to a specific resistor.
Can you post a link to the project you are referring to?

flashbastard

Post by flashbastard »

https://learn.adafruit.com/halloween-pumpkin
Is the project I am referring to.

The other project I found is.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Talking ... -Skeleton/

Both projects do essentially the same thing, though the instructable is closer to what I am specifically looking to make.

I'm not worried so much about either projects' use of a sensor to begin the animation, I am only worried about the actual animation portion itself, and the way a current is read to determine if there would be sound coming from the project.

adafruit_support_bill

I'm not worried so much about either projects' use of a sensor to begin the animation, I am only worried about the actual animation portion itself, and the way a current is read to determine if there would be sound coming from the project.
I'm not sure if I understand the question. Both projects use a sensor to trigger the animation and sound. One uses a PIR sensor. The other uses an ultrasonic sensor. The wiring and code will depend on the sensor you decide to use.

flashbastard

Post by flashbastard »

Correct, but the animation is actually controlled by the sound, through a connection being made to an input pin on the arduino, that then using that reading to control outputs to another pin driving the servo/LEDs. (At least, this is how I understand the projects to work.)

What I am trying to figure out is where I would be able to tap in to the MP3 breakout to get the current that the arduino would be able to use as an input to read, and interpret as sound (speech) vs. silence (between words, at the end of animation, etc.).

adafruit_support_bill

They are measuring voltage, not current. You could take the output from LOUT or ROUT on the VS1053 breakout. The voltage level will be lower than from the Wave-Shield op amp output. You can either use a lower analog reference, or just scale it in software.

flashbastard

Post by flashbastard »

So, If I'm understanding correctly, I could do something along the lines of, taking a voice sample, and duplicating the audio on both the left and right channel, then instead of making both connections to the headphone jack, I could run one channel to an analog input on the Arduino. In the code, It should then only be a matter of figuring out the voltage, and determining what I want the threshold to be?

adafruit_support_bill

instead of making both connections to the headphone jack, I could run one channel to an analog input on the Arduino.
You can still run them both to the jack if you like. The analog pin has a pretty high impedance and won't load the output much.

flashbastard

Post by flashbastard »

Oh, ok. Either way, that is what I was looking to accomplish.

I appreciate the help. Thanks a lot.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”