Funnest TV B Gone uses....?

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DJ4MC

Funnest TV B Gone uses....?

Post by DJ4MC »

Hey everyone, I am loving this thing. I built two more for my grown kids for Christmas and I know they are gonna love it. OK: What is the most TV's you have turned off at once or the funnest place you have used this?

I just left the AMC theater down the road and all of their popcorn and candy pricing is on a series of Sony LCD displays that... All shut off at once this afternoon.

In busy airports I love riding the people mover past sports bars and the Fox store while watching all the TV's go off.

What have you turned off lately? :wink:

447za

Re: Funnest TV B Gone uses....?

Post by 447za »

in Supermarket all their 20 TVs gone off =)

DJ4MC

Post by DJ4MC »

I just left Fry's this afternoon and the wall of Sony's went, then the Panasonics... Ahhhh... To much fun.

Sdarcy

Post by Sdarcy »

SERIOUSLY I love this thing!!! I had the original one but just recently purchased the Super TV B Gone and I am able to turn off the neighbor's tv even with their windows closed- It is so powerful!

These neighbors have never been the friendliest people and they don't care about using curtains or blinds so even in this cold CT weather I am able to ZAP ZAP ZAP their tv off

Ultimate revenge!!!!

NOW if only they made a SUPER universal tv remote so I could change their channels and turn their volume up and down OH MAN! they will seriously thing their house is possessed!

Love it!!!

thelandofthedave

Post by thelandofthedave »

In the first year i had my tv b gone i used it alot. I have to say the two funnest times were at the mall with my newborn son and at a best buy.
I used to go to the mall with it. I would carry my son (infant at the time) in one of those back pack looking things that you wear in front of you. I would place the tv b gone so it was facing outwards but could not be seen. We would walk thru the mall turning off all the kiosk displays that incorporated tv's. It was always fun watching the employees scramble to figure out the problem with the tv's. Especially after the second or third time :)
One time in a best buy i was walking by their wall of tv's and turning them off. Then i noticed i was being followed by an employee. I wandered around and watched her follow me into the non tv display areas of the store until i left. She actually followed me out the door but did not attempt to stop me. Not that she would have had much to say :)
Costco is always fun too. Wait. Costco is really fun :)
I think during next years stanley cup finals i might make a run across the border into Vancouver and hit the sports bars :)
It has to be the cheapest thrill i know. But one of the best. Seeing a tv turn off :)
Now if i could hit living room tv's thru the windows from the sidewalks then that would be just great :)

Keith_Henrickson

Post by Keith_Henrickson »

Since geeks typically don't watch sports, we need someone to compile a list.

We need a list of big games, and the times at which they will be shown. Then, hit the sports bars. :)

thelandofthedave

Post by thelandofthedave »

hmm my reply didnt show up....
second try..
I have always wanted to bar hop on SuperBowl Sunday.
A quick list with no dates
Super bowl sunday
NCAA march madness
BANNED championships
World Cup if your not in America
Stanley cup
Im sure there are more.

richms

Post by richms »

The cinema near here has a wall of small sony LCDs mounted portrait on the walls showing a static image of movie posters (waste of a good TV and power etc)

Anyway, turned the whole lot off in one hit. And the big one running trailers, and some others showing stuff about buying overpriced candy and popcorn etc.

Gotta love them sonys with their really sensitive recivers and the code being one of teh first out. Not like LG and samsung which take ages. And I just have the keychain cornfield one not the powerful adafruit one which I will be able to fix the code list in.

bitstream

Post by bitstream »

I can't stand television in general. I always bring my TV B Gone to doctors' offices. It is usually on and some brain dead patients are inevitably mesmerized in its "programming".

So here I am at the eye doctor in blissful silence, some slum puppy impolitely tries to turn the set on to watch some insipid daytime talk show at high volume. Stealthily, I energized the TV B Gone and the set goes off. She tries for ON a second time, and the TV B Gone kills it again. She continued looking for visual gratification, in increasing frustration, eventually getting to the point of sitting next to the set and attempted to hold the power switch in the ON position manually. This drama played out through 11 iterations before the other patients took notice and laughed and commented that the set was probably broken. She took the cue and twitched for 15 minutes in silence mindlessly flipping through PEOPLE magazine before being called for the eye test.

Another dozen or so brain cells saved by the TV B Gone! :D

jaypoc

Post by jaypoc »

After building my first TV-B-Gone, I started thinking of ways to conceal the fact that I had the unit on me. I thought about mounting the emitter LEDs on hats, coats, pins, etc, but it all seemed a bit too suspicious looking. It then came to me. I gutted a disposable camera, and mounted the emitter LED's in a square pattern behind the camera's "flash" opening (Even left the plastic "lens" on the camera. The grooves/pattern in the plastic hid the LEDs behind it well, and I replaced the cameras trigger with a small black button from Radio Shack. It worked great. As a test I went into a store which shall remain nameless (but rhymes with hall-mart) and walked right up to the employees in Electronics. While either asking them questions, or browsing through CD's/BANNED's, they didn't suspect me at all for all their TV's turning on and off suddenly. It was quite amusing and took a lot to hold in the laughter.

If you do this project, be careful not to short anything out. Something happened on mine, I was sitting against my Jacket and I felt something super-hot in my pocket. It was the battery pack heating up (and actually melted away part of it)

jaypoc

Post by jaypoc »

thelandofthedave wrote:hmm my reply didnt show up....
second try..
I have always wanted to bar hop on SuperBowl Sunday.
A quick list with no dates
Super bowl sunday
NCAA march madness
BANNED championships
World Cup if your not in America
Stanley cup
Im sure there are more.
Just be stealthy... or have a good pair of running shoes on.

vxbinaca

Post by vxbinaca »

UFC fight night. They get totally bent out of shape.

tronixstuff

Post by tronixstuff »

Have a look at the field trip video at the end of this post: http://BANNED/b3nKns
Was going to turn off the TVs in the OTB (betting shop) but the guys in there looked too mean...

richms

Post by richms »

In NZ its the TAB, and they have a crapload of old 14" tvs on various teletext pages to show the odds and stuff. They never turn them off.

I turned them all off, and back on, so they were all just showing the horse racing channels video since they dont go back onto the right teletext page. It was just like that a week later.

Also at some shops they have some flat screens near the checkouts that show adverts non stop. I turned them off and they were still off a week later. I guess they dont turn them off and on again, so really I am saving power by doing that which is all green and stuff ;)

TVHighjacker

Post by TVHighjacker »

I turnt off a TV in a shop called brighthouse, I left to look for more TV's and I saw a women turn the TV back on and started tuning it in, So I sat their and watch her tune the TV and when it was nearly done tuning like 10 minutes later I turned it off again. And now they don't have the TV no more, I think they sent it in for repair lol..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”